The OGP Local Program Lead (The Lead) will be responsible for leading the implementation of an ambitious new strategy for significantly scaling OGP’s efforts to support open local government. The Lead will manage a small team of 2-3 staff and work with members of OGP’s Management team and thematic partners with a highly collaborative approach to develop and execute long and medium-term strategies for the Local program.
In the short-to-medium term, the Lead will be responsible for program strategies and implementation, identifying and recruiting a strong pipeline of local leaders, and overseeing the development of a strong learning and knowledge sharing program and network. In the long term, the Lead will be responsible for increasing OGP’s visibility as a center of excellence for open local government - as an incubator for promising reforms, and as a hub for accessing knowledge resources, subject matter and practitioner support.
The position involves representing OGP with members of OGP’s Steering Committee, current and prospective funders and partners, and mid-to-senior level leaders from local/subnational governments and civil society. The ideal candidate will have experience in leading local open government reform and share attributes of a startup leader with the ability to effectively operate across all levels of organizations, provide vision and direction, fundraising to match growth aspirations, while also being responsible for day-to-day program implementation.
Key Responsibility Areas
● Program Development, Implementation, and Review
- Annual work planning and implementation
- Ongoing program development
- Ongoing progress monitoring to assess how programmatic priorities or delivery mechanisms might need to be adjusted
● Strategic Partnerships Development
- Institutional partners: networks that can help expand the reach of OGP's local efforts e.g. UCLG etc
- Knowledge and Learning Partners: Work with the Learning and Innovation team to recruit partners to support the development and growth of the OGP Local knowledge and learning program.
- Funders: fundraising for the Local program and related funder management
● Support to Open Government Leaders
- To enable them to make optimal use of the OGP platform
● Cross-Organizational Coordination to Support the Local Program
- Thematic team: on identifying thematic leadership potential within the local program and providing requisite thematic support
- Learning and Innovation team: coordination for the development of an online, group-based onboarding and continuous learning program. Coordination on donor reporting
- Global: Steering Committee management on Local
- Comms: Story development, communicating lessons learned from the Local program
- Country support: identifying regional and in-country partners to strengthen national-local linkages
● Supporting Organizational Objectives
- Lead and manage the OGP Local team
- Actively share ownership with and commitment to the Management Team and its agenda and decisions inside and outside the organization
- Contribute to building the vision for and setting the strategic direction for OGP
Advanced degree or equivalent experience in political science, international affairs or relevant field, with specific expertise in local governance and decentralization
Job-related Requirements and Skills
- 10-12 years of experience, including management experience, funder and partner management experience
- Experience working on local governance reforms, ideally with a focus on transparency, accountability, and participation.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and advise government officials, very politically savvy and good at building relationships with a wide range of people and organizations.
- Familiarity with civil society networks, donors/funders, and experts working on governance issues across a range of sectors
- Familiarity with building or maintaining communities of practice and practitioner networks and developing knowledge sharing and learning programs
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to work across different levels of organizational hierarchies
- Fluency in Spanish, French or other relevant languages highly desirable
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org