The World Bank/ SAGGL is looking for a dynamic GF level staff to spearhead the MFD program. This program work in three primary areas: (1) provision of operational cross support to the regions for ASA, lending, and supervision activities (34%); (2) leading design, execution and dissemination of a series of flagship MFD/agribusiness research and knowledge products (33%) ; and (3) working closely with the donor community on innovative MFD programs and pilots (33%). This position will be part of a team under leadership of a Global Lead. It will also backstop partnership efforts led by the SAGGL team, assist in the facilitation of stakeholder meetings and other relevant engagements, and support the practice manager and senior staff on various projects.
More specifically, to support the EBA program, the Agribusiness specialist/Economist will; i) collaborate with the team to further develop applicable indicators to ensure an applicable agribusiness approach; ii) to engage with the private sector to drive awareness and contribution to the EBA program; iii) support country level AGF colleagues in policy level dialogue primarily to government clients, but also with other key stakeholders; iv) support the development of the EBA benchmark report and associated required communication products; v) support dissemination if the EBA findings via workshops, knowledge products, webinars etc; and vi) support donor reporting requirements.
To support the MFD operationalization, the Agribusiness specialist/Economist will; i) lead analysis, diagnostics and research - to conduct deep dive analyses on selected value chains in a country and support WBG led Country Private Sector Diagnosis and develop concrete recommendations; ii) providing support in policy reform - to support client countries to design and implement adequate policy reform; iii) de-risking agriculture - to identify and mobilize tools, technique and partners to develop creative ways to de-risk the across the supply chain segments; and iv) facilitating multi-stakeholder collaboration - to create direct collaboration and partnerships, through multi-ministerial or multi-sector platforms, based on MFD in client countries through workshops, roundtables, conferences and other modalities.
The Agribusiness specialist/Economist will articulate an integrated MFD approach to agricultural value chain development across the WBG. It will provide a basis for specific guidance to task teams from across the World Bank, IFC, FCI and MIGA on how to integrate the MFD approach, where relevant, into project design for Investment Project Financing (IPF), Program for Results (PforR), Development Policy Financing (DPF), Public Private Partnerships (PPPs), as well as WB/IFC Advisory projects. The MFD approach involves leveraging the private sector and optimizing the use of scarce public resources in a way that is fiscally, environmentally, and socially sustainable, following the IFC Performance Standards/World Bank Safeguards or Environmental and Social Framework (ESF).
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, International Relations, Food Security and Nutrition, Agricultural Development or a closely related field;
• At least five years of recent experience relevant to international agricultural development, preferably in the field related to agribusiness and commodity value chain analysis;
• Strong experience in policy dialogue and excellent ability to present complex issues to World Bank management and senior Government representatives in country, as well as to non-specialist audiences.
• Strong technical skills in the range of issues of relevance to agriculture, including agricultural policy, digital agriculture, Climate Smart Agriculture, environmental sustainability, and poverty analysis; a general knowledge of donor priorities and requirements is an advantage;
• A proven track record of contributing to knowledge generation and dissemination in the areas of relevance to agribusiness and agriculture in general;
• Excellent knowledge of various modern methods of economic analysis and extensive experience in applying such methods to various datasets.
• Proven sense of initiative, result orientation, team work and leadership qualities, and ability to work effectively across sector;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Languages including French, Spanish, and/or Portuguese will also be an advantage.
• Strong client engagement skills, and excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and team skills with ability to work across various disciplines and multi-disciplinary teams; while being diplomatic and sensitive to cultural, political and gender issues.
• Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena - Translates technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and contributions to country and sector strategies; interacts with clients at the policy level.
• Policy Dialogue Skills - Anticipates needs and requests in the field and conducts independent policy discussions with high level representatives of the government and non-government partners.
• Integrative Skills - Understands relevant cross-sectoral areas how they are interrelated; ability to conceptualize scaling up micro and project level outcomes to macro and global transformative outcomes.
• Agribusiness / value chain development – the ability to apply the WB Corporate and AGF MFD cascade and value chain diagnostic tools within the project investments and relevant ASA
• Agriculture Policy, Strategy and Institutions - Solid understanding of agriculture policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
• Project Design for Impact and Sustainability - Contributes to the design of projects and programs based on an understanding of the country and sector context.
• Multi-sector Dialogue - Able to conduct a dialogue with a range of clients including on complex issues related to climate change and its impacts, including agriculture, environment, finance, and private sector and markets, based on a solid understanding of interactions with agriculture.
• Client Orientation - Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
• Drive for Results - Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
• Knowledge, Learning, and Communication - Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
• Lead and Innovate - Develops innovative solutions.
• Deliver Results for Clients - Proactively addresses clients stated and unstated needs.
• Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries - Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge - Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
• Make Smart Decisions - Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org