The European Endowment for Democracy is looking for Grants Assistant Coordinator(s) to support its flexible democracy support work.
Specifically, EED is looking for support in its financial management and review of reports for grants in the Western Balkans and beyond.
As a minimum, candidates must have a full professional knowledge of BHS (language of Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia). Knowledge of other languages of the Western Balkans would be an advantage.
Main functions of the post:
- Supporting the management of EED grants, in close coordination with relevant EED staff, focusing on monitoring the financial management of the projects and compliance with contract stipulations;
- Providing guidance and assistance to EED grantees regarding the technical and financial management of the grants;
- Preparing financial reports and other documentation for submission to EED donors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will work under the guidance of the relevant Grants Manager and reports to the Director of Operations, and shall be responsible for (in addition to the above-mentioned):
- Directly reviewing financial reports from EED grantees (and all related supporting documents/invoices submitted by grantees in local languages) in order to verify eligibility of expenses;
- Assisting in the assessment of budgets of initial proposals for EED grants;
- Drafting contracts and all related contractual documentation;
- Ensuring compliance of grant implementation with EED contractual requirements;
- Liaising with grantees to provide assistance and advice regarding the financial management of the grant, including support in preparing requests for addenda regarding changes in activity plans, budget revisions and project extensions;
- Coordinating with EED colleagues and sending consolidated feedback on financial and narrative reports to grantees;
- Collecting, verifying and aggregating data related to substantive, technical and financial implementation related to the different grants;
- Drafting comprehensive financial reports for EED’s donors and ensuring timely submission of such reports (with all required supporting documents), in compliance with contract stipulations;
- Keeping track of expenditure by financial year; and liaising with relevant colleagues to keep track of funds received from and/or to be reimbursed to donors in each financial year;
- Supporting internal knowledge management and learning;
- Advising grantees on donor regulations;
- Coordinating with EED external consultant(s);
- Carrying out on-site monitoring missions, as required;
- Providing translation of short texts and/or commissioning/coordinating translation of more extensive documentation, as requested by the donor;
- Performing other related tasks as required.
Key eligibility and selection criteria
- preferably be a national or having permanent residence permit of one of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland;
- be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
- have completed any obligations imposed on him/her by the laws concerning military service;
- be physically fit to perform his/her duties.
Essential selection criteria
Level and type of formal education:
- University degree in Economics, Business Management, International Affairs, International Development or related discipline
- at least two years of proven full-time professional experience in civil society-related projects and programmes;
- demonstrated track record in grant-making and/or project management;
- experience in working with democracy-support donors in government and/or international organisations and/or from civil society;
- experience of working with civil society in the Western Balkans considered an asset.
- full professional working knowledge of English (including ability to draft quality reports for donors);
- thorough working knowledge of BHS (languages of Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia).
- Knowledge of other languages of the Western Balkans would be an asset (ability to liaise with grantees orally and in writing and to verify documentation);
- good knowledge of grant-making and project management;
- ability to verify narrative and financial reports (including verification of all supporting documents);
- ability to liaise with donors;
- substantive understanding of political issues and trends in the European Neighbourhood and beyond as well as EU policies towards the region;
- solid ICT skills, especially in Microsoft Excel;
- high drive for detail and precision;
- ability to keep full confidentiality about all assigned tasks and related documentation as well as capacity to exercise confidentiality, discretion and tact when dealing with diverse groups of people;
- high degree of communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills;
- ability to develop strong working relationships internally and externally at all levels;
- high personal and professional culture;
- ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- readiness for duty travel.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org