The role of the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) Officer is to support better performance and greater accountability by implementing evidence-based program/project management at the field level, in order to guide and improve performance. The MEAL Officer will provide technical support to the design of methodologies and tools to ensure the availability of clear and accurate information at the program/project level. The MEAL Officer also plays an important role in data management and quality by designing a MEAL system that adheres to the IMC’s MEAL Global Guidelines, the MEAL Minimum Standards for Quality, and the guiding MEAL policies and procedures, among others. The MEAL Officer will provide technical support to the program and build capacity in the country Mission through strengthening learning and knowledge sharing across the IMC and with the wider humanitarian community.
- Consolidate site statistics from health, MHPSS, WASH and other sectors analyzing cross-cutting indicators;
- Coordinate with technical staff and team leader on assessments for strategic developments;
- Collaborate with technical staff in data quality maintenance, routine monitoring of programs, and accountability mechanisms;
- Support program staff with additional training and mentoring on routine monitoring procedures and surveillance techniques;
- Sustain community based complaints and feedback mechanisms;
- Oversee the collection and timely reporting of data and statistics from the health facilities
Project design and planning
- Support needs assessment and situation analysis through various approaches (e.g. direct data collection, secondary sources, problem tree analysis, SWOT analysis) and ensure that needs assessment and project design are linked.
- Support to program and MEAL team with developing the results framework, support the program with developing the theory of change, logframe and MEAL plan including indicators for existing and new projects.
- In coordination with the Program Team and MEAL field Focal Points, implement a reliable participatory MEAL framework for the IMC Mission to ensure quality.
- Follow full MEAL procedures and operating plans within the Mission and develop harmonized data collection tools involving the different stakeholders (project team, partners)
- Ensure that AAP data is collected routinely throughout project cycle enabling evidence-based programming and corrective action.
- Develop data gathering plans and harmonize data collection, analysis and reporting flows for projects in country.
- Conduct regular site visits or when required to monitor service provision and ensure data quality.
Data quality management
- Assess the quality of collected data for the indicators and ensure that data pitfalls and issues, are mitigated.
- Coordinate routine data quality audits conducted in different sites, compile results at the level of a project and develop actions plans to implement corrective measures.
- Manage tools and methods for assessing data quality for all indicators.
- Identify and locate backup documentation for reporting against indicators.
Mobile and manual data collection
- Design simple and complex questionnaire using XLS or form builder (Kobo form builder, ONA form builder, etc.)
- Maintain installed mobile data collection tools (OKD collect, Kobo collect, ONA collect, etc.) on smart phones or tablets and manage data on mobile servers (Kobo form builder, ONA form builder, etc.)
- Increase capacity of other staff in developing XLS form and setting up mobile data collection.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Support in developing KML mechanisms and processes for the mission while ensuring these mechanisms are in line with IMC’s guidelines
- Facilitate after-action reviews and lessons learned exercises, including data collected through CBFRM and other participative forms of community engagement and feedback collection.
Community Based Feedback and Response Mechanism
- Provide technical support to the team on establishing and maintaining effective feedback mechanisms for decision making, fully in line with commitments regarding accountability to affected populations (AAP), including IASC CAAP, CHS, and Sphere Humanitarian Charter
- Implement and monitor the CBFRM, accountability initiatives, and practices across the Mission.
- Support the implementation of the Conflict Sensitivity approach across the program.
- Monitor and report on IMC’s adherence to Do No Harm and the conflict sensitivity (Safe and Effective Humanitarian Response) approach at the field level.
Perform other duties and responsibilities as required including but not limited to:
- Mainstream the Global MEAL Guidelines across all related MEAL activities and at the field level.
- Apply and adapt existing Global MEAL Guidelines, tools, and templates at the relevant stages of the project cycle.
- Actively promote the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) standards within IMC and amongst its beneficiaries.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the Code of Conduct, ethics, values, and standpoint with regards to internal and external actors.
- Bechelor's-level or a higher degree in social sciences, public health, statistics, or international development, with experience or background in M&E, epidemiology, public health, and health information management.
(Identify specific experiences necessary for this position)
- Minimum of 3 years of applied experience with a humanitarian organization in designing, implementing and overseeing monitoring and evaluation tasks.
- Experience with M&E approaches for key donors such as OFDA, ECHO, EU, DfID, UN, etc.
- Experience in the use of qualitative and quantitative software for data analysis.
- Experience with mobile data collection platform
List technical expertise and soft skills required including languages)
- Demonstrated understanding of data protection and confidentiality as part of data collection and management practices, and ability to respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Upper-intermediate level Enligh proficiency (Speaking – Reading – Writing).
- Possess the skills on mobile data collection software such as Ona, KoboToolBox.
- Communicate the organizational goals to the team.
- Have analytical, conceptual, and strategic thinking skills.
- Build collaborative relationships and foster teamwork.
- Other (E.g. travel, visa, work eligibility required)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org