The global corporate relations (CR) function has accountability for engaging stakeholders in priority markets around the world, with teams located in Africa, Australia, Canada, China, the European Union, India, Japan, Singapore, the UK and US.
Reporting to a vice president, Corporate Relations, the Principal Adviser, Corporate Relations has lead responsibility for Rio Tinto’s corporate relations strategy and engagement in the UK. Key accountabilities include:
Political analysis, intelligence gathering and advice
· Advise Chairman, CEO, other ExCo members and UK steerco on key external developments and externally-driven risks which impact the business. These include domestic and foreign policy, regulatory changes, legislation and political developments
· Your primary focus will be on the UK political and business environment as it impacts Rio Tinto and British multinationals operating overseas.
· Leverage relationships with external and internal stakeholders to manage Group-level and product group/commercial issues effectively, to support the Group’s growth projects, exploration and existing operations, and to protect and enhance Group reputation. Identify and prioritise long-term relationships which may result in third party advocacy for the business. This includes building multi-stakeholder coalitions
· Manage relationships and engage with the UK government on Rio Tinto operations/projects, commercial issues, trade/investment issues of common interest, and in order to influence policy decisions.
· Seek advice from experts on the political landscape in key markets, e.g. ahead of investment/divestment decisions, during volatile political times etc.
Stakeholder and Reputation Management
· Manage relationships with think tanks, trade associations, business councils, NGOs, academic institutions and international business community representatives in London Use these relationships to seek and shape external profiling and reputation building engagements and opportunities for RT senior leaders.
· Proactively identify, design and shape engagement opportunities for Exco members to enhance Rio Tinto’s reputation and credibility, for example speaking platforms and roundtables, in support of our business objectives.
· Support Group Media in the management of Rio Tinto’s UK corporate profile, including corporate communications
· Draft external publications, letters and speeches on behalf of the CEO, Exco and other senior employees.
Strategy development and management
· Coordinate and run the UK Steering Committee which oversees Rio Tinto’s country strategy in the UK
· Manage the development of Rio Tinto’s UK strategy in order to advance the company’s business interests and reputation, mitigate commercial threats and drive opportunities to deliver value.
To be successfully considered for this role, the following are preferred:
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org