The Network of Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD) (https://www.nchrd.org), a small non-profit organization that monitors human rights developments in China, is hiring a full-time Researcher.
– Conducting research, monitoring, verifying, and documenting human rights developments in China by collecting and analyzing information from relevant sources;
– Drafting and editing English and Chinese language reports, news briefings, case files, press releases, and other publications;
– Conducting outreach to and responding promptly to queries from the media, human rights monitoring bodies, other human rights NGOs, diplomats, and other stakeholders;
– Strictly complying with confidentiality and privacy principles with respect to sources and partners working under risky conditions;
– Working flexible hours, under tight deadlines, to handle emerging developments with colleagues in different time zones;
– Traveling internationally, as required, to conduct advocacy or assist with capacity-building trainings;
– Carrying out any other duties as required, such as translation, and other research-related or administrative tasks, including website updates.
Location: Asia preferred, Europe, or US; Employee can work remotely
This is a two-year position, with the opportunity for renewal.
Compensation: $50K-$60K USD/year (with benefits), depending on experience.
Education: At a minimum, a Masters degree, with a specialty in international relations, journalism, law, Asian Studies, or related area, is required.
Experience: Minimum five years experience conducting investigative research into and reporting on the human rights situation in China is required. Familiarity with international human rights conventions is essential.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
– Ability to conduct investigative research for and write and produce reports on topics and developments in the area of human rights in China; ability to identify and critically examine emerging trends, and able to instigate, plan and execute new research projects.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Mandarin Chinese.
– Fluent or near native reading, comprehension, and writing skills in Mandarin Chinese language.
– Strong planning and organizational skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively with a team under tight deadlines.
– Demonstrated media outreach skills and use of social media to further advocacy goals.
– Strong attention to detail.
– Familiarity with digital security tools and digital risks.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, an unedited writing sample in English (under 5 pages), and contact information for two references.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org