Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Countering Terrorist Travel Section (CTTS) within the Special Projects and Innovation Branch (SPIB) of the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), in Manila, the Philippines. The Programme Officer reports to the Senior Programme Management Officer.
The focus of this position is to support the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the UN Countering Terrorist Travel Programme in the Philippines and the broader ASEAN region.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinates the provision and delivery of CT Travel technical assistance to the Philippines and beneficiaries within the ASEAN region, including through facilitation with internal and external project partners
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client and programme partners, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies,
- Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc. on API-PNR; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to API and/or PNR issues, including the adoption, introduction and use of API and/or PNR by Member States. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in Advance Passenger Information (API) and Passenger Name Record (PNR) systems is required.
- Experience in managing multi-stakeholder projects or programmes in a national environment is desirable.
- Experience working in the field of counter-terrorism is desirable.
- Experience in implementing capacity building or technical assistance projects in Southeast Asia is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org