The Research Analyst position is interdisciplinary and requires the application of expert-level professional knowledge of and experience in the practice of diplomacy. Under the guidance of client leadership, the incumbent serves as a research analyst responsible for conducting research and interviews, analyzing diplomatic practice, and developing and writing case studies and Policy Implementation Reviews. As an expert foreign affairs practitioner, the incumbent ensures that his or her research and analysis meet the needs of Department of State personnel and the larger foreign affairs community by supporting the training efforts by the Institute.
Primary responsibilities in the Center include researching and writing case studies, conforming to existing guidelines, for use in Policy Implementation Reviews. Policy Implementation Reviews draw from diplomatic reporting, interviews, and open-sources. In addition, the incumbent will collaborate with FSI course coordinators to facilitate the use of the lessons learned case studies in classrooms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify potential case studies for research.
- Respond to requests to research case studies identified by Department stakeholders, as directed by the Center leadership.
- Research case studies using a combination of relevant academic studies, off-the-record interviews, published and unpublished memoirs, Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training oral history interviews, press releases, public statements, speeches, background briefings, Mission Activities Tracker (MAT) data, Cable Archive Retrieval System (CARS) and State Messaging and Archive Retrieval Toolset (SMART) reviews, as well as other relevant data in order to generate a detailed, soundly sourced, ~150-page (per case study) "Master Draft" chronology of events and actions.
- Draft analytical case studies focusing on the tradecraft of diplomacy and conforming to existing guidelines. Expected rate of production would be a minimum of 6-10 case studies (= 2-3 Policy Implementation Reviews) annually.
- Maintain diplomatic expertise by staying informed of current diplomatic efforts and Department of State goals.
- Continuously research to enhance the usefulness and pertinence of Center’s case studies.
- Continuously develop and maintain professional contacts who will be resources for the Center.
- Maintain and develop professional contacts with other government agencies as required.
- This position requires professional and expert-level knowledge of the application of diplomatic tradecraft, developed by having served a minimum of five (5) years in a U.S. embassy in a political, economic, public diplomacy, or equivalent position. Professional education and experience in any or a combination of the following disciplines can contribute to the base knowledge required to perform the work: Foreign Affairs; International Relations; History; Anthropology; or Liberal Arts.
- Secret Clearance (verifiable in JPAS)
- An advanced degree and foreign language skills are preferred.
- Be familiar with diplomatic tradecraft and its use.
- Possess strong analytical and writing skills and be willing to write to order.
- Be familiar with academic research standards.
- Advanced knowledge of the mission and functions of the Department of State, as well as other foreign affairs agencies, in order to frame course studies in the context of work situations diplomats might encounter.
- Familiarity with and the ability to use computer and related technologies (be a skilled user of the Microsoft Office suite) and excellent communication skills, both oral and written, in order to carry out and/or facilitate the accomplishment of numerous functional responsibilities of the position.
- Commitment to a collective and collaborative work environment, able to operate both as a member of a small team but also with wide latitude and independence.
- Must be able to favorably pass company and client background and security process.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org