Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located within the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary General in the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL). The position is based in Tripoli, Libya (Tripoli is classified as a Hardship "E" duty station and a non-family duty station). The incumbent will be under the direct supervision of the Special Representative of the Secretary General (SRSG).
Within delegated authority, the Special Assistant, Political Affairs P-4 will be responsible for the following duties:
- Supports the SRSG in the execution of his duties: Coordination and facilitation – Provides substantive and practical support in the implementation of the Mission's mandate as given by the Security Council.
- Brings to the attention of the SRSG all matters requiring the SRSG’s personal attention, assists in formulating options as to how those matters might be handled, and ensures appropriate follow-up, as directed.
- Reviews incoming correspondences, documents and transactions, forwarding to appropriate units, ensuring prompt action is taken and following up on the status.
- Drafts correspondence for the SRSG’s signature, as well as other documentation including code cables and reports to the Security Council.
- Monitors, evaluate and report on implementation: coordinate/draft summary and analytical report including, but not limited to, situation report, briefing notes, notes to file, code cables, and input for reports of the Secretary General to the Security Council.
- Liaises and maintains close working relationships with officials of state institutions, political parties, civil society organizations, religious actors.
- Organizes and manages conferences, meetings, seminars and workshops as directed by the SRSG.
- Coordinates, as required, actions related to the transition towards the United Nations agency-led commitment, depending on the mission’s mandate and the situation in the country concerned. This includes liaising with bilateral donors and other international organizations, with a view to realizing greater synergy and coordination, specifically regarding post-mission activities in the country.
- Assesses implications and make recommendations on possible policies, strategies, and other measures to address issues of concern and to advance mandated objectives.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Professionalism: Proven capacity to work under pressure and delivering within tight deadlines. Ability to respond expeditiously to diverse requests from multiple stakeholders and to set priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Political Science, Management or Development, or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job - Specific Qualification
- Professional training in the areas of planning, facilitation and/or coordination is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, diplomacy, conflict resolution, or related field is required.
- Extensive experience in political outreach, conflict resolutiojn, facilitation, analysis, advice and reporting is required.
- Experience working in a disarmament, development management, conflict resolution or related area is required.
- Experience working in or in support of a field operation of the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization or non-governmental organization is desirable.
- Experience in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable.
- Previous experience working in the office of a senior public official and/or as a Special Assistant (or similar) to a senior public official is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org