The Middle East Broadcasting Networks, Inc. (MBN) is seeking a Washington DC Correspondent for Alhurra News Team. MBN is a non-profit grantee of the federal government that directly communicates with the people of the Middle East and North Africa through television, radio, and digital media. MBN's mission is to provide objective, accurate, and relevant news and information to the people of the Middle East about the region, the world, and the United States in support of U.S. public diplomacy.
The Correspondent is first a storyteller responsible for providing clear and concise reports after gathering and verifying factual information through interviews, observations, and research. The incumbent organizes all material, determines the emphasis and writes story or stories to fit the standard formats.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Correspondent include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting interviews with news sources having a wide variety of views and expertise.
- Evaluating and analyze leads and tips to develop story ideas.
- Cultivating and maintain credible news sources.
- Writing scripts and oversee production to ensure broadcast quality of stories and reports.
- Presenting live or taped interviews and voice-over reports in studio or in the field.
- Updating previously reported stories.
- Developing original, imaginative and creative ways to tell/show news stories.
- Coordinating news coverage with Producers, Cameraman, Editors and news management.
- Developing original story ideas for features and special events that are consistent with the company’s mission.
- Reporting breaking news with accuracy and urgency.
- Editing or assist in editing videos for broadcast.
- Checking reports for balance, clarity, and objectivity to ensure they are free of bias and advocacy.
- Reading and edit news copy to ensure that it contains no slanderous content.
- Maintaining knowledge and understanding of world events.
- Adapting quickly to changing priorities and breaking news.
- B.A. degree in Journalism or communications.
- 2-4 year previous experience as an on-camera correspondent.
- Demonstrate strong news judgment and organizational skills.
- The ability to write clear and concise news stories.
- The ability to communicate and translate from English to classic Arabic.
- Show discretion, maturity and composure especially under pressure.
- Superior story writing and storytelling ability.
- Good creative and editorial judgment. Mastery of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Proficient with internet, database and computer assisted reporting techniques.
- The ability to be self-directed.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Self-discipline and time-management skills.
- The ability to be comfortable on-camera, particularly in live situations.
- Must be proficiency in Microsoft office suite.
- A confident demeanor and excellent rapport when interacting with all levels of staff.
- The ability to prioritize and demonstrate the ability to work under pressure, and provide quick turnaround against high-pressure deadlines.
- The ability to accommodate flexible work schedule to support 24/7 news environment.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*