FHI 360 is seeking an Advocacy Director for the Civil Society and Media Project, a USAID-supported initiative. The Project aims to respond to civil society needs by: 1) improving civil society capacity to engage in democratic processes and policy dialogue; 2) increasing the availability of and access to information on democratic governance and reform issues; and 3) expanding inclusive public dialogue and political space.
The Advocacy Director will be based in Yangon and will report to the Chief of Party. S/he will be responsible for overseeing and providing technical support to the Project’s CSO (civil society organization) partners and activities related to advocacy, advocacy planning, policy reform and inclusive public dialogue. S/he will also oversee the Project’s efforts to ensure inclusion, gender equity and disability rights are addressed in project activities and by project grantees and partners. As a part of the project’s senior technical team, s/he will provide strategic input and analysis around activities that promote civil society’s capacity to engage in the democratic transition and policy and expanding inclusive public dialogue and political space.
The Advocacy Director will work closely with the Project Media, Program and Strategic Information Directors and interact with civil society organizations, ISOs (intermediary support organizations), independent media partners, local and international technical experts, USAID, other donors, and other Project stakeholders in the various situations in which the initiatives s/he is responsible for are implemented. S/he will work closely with the Project partners PILPG and VSO to provide legal and policy support to grantees and support work on gender and disability rights.
The Advocacy Director will be responsible for:
Providing technical, managerial and logistical support as needed for:
- Capacity-building support to CSO partners for advocacy, public awareness and public dialogue initiatives;
- Assessing the advocacy capacity of CSO grantees in conjunction with the Advocacy ISO;
- Providing training and technical assistance to selected advocacy training organizations;
- Coordinating short-term technical assistance to CSO grantees in advocacy capacity building;
- Playing a leading role in the process of calling for, reviewing and assessing technical proposals from CSOs for advocacy, inclusion, public awareness and public dialogue grants:
- Following trends and key issues around advocacy, policy reform and inclusion and ensuring that project direction and programming is responsive to trends and opportunities and addressing issues;
- Reviewing and advising on advocacy activities proposed by grantees;
- Undertaking selective site visits to advocacy grantee offices and projects to give guidance and collect information for reporting;
- Provide technical and logistical support to other advocacy-related Project activities;
- Ensuring the integration of gender- and disability-related concerns into the organizational and technical work of Project partners and of the Project itself;
- Managing advocacy, disability and gender team members and consultants working on those issues.
- Coordinating with other technical and program staff to ensure that Project components and activities are integrated and information and lessons learned are shared across Project teams; and
- Working closely with the Chief of Party, the Senior Advisor, Finance and Operations team, and other Project team members to ensure that Project activities comply with FHI 360 and USAID rules and regulations;
- Contributing to written project performance reports, and helping ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of advocacy- and gender-related activities;
- Undertaking such other activities as may be agreed with the Chief of Party in consultation with USAID.
Experience and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of Myanmar civil society and the issues and opportunities facing the sector given the country’s new political environment;
- Advocacy experience;
- Deep knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following strongly desired: inclusion, gender, disability rights, policy development or reform in Myanmar;
- Prior management or work experience in a civil society organization or its equivalent, experience managing USAID funded initiatives preferred;
- Previous staff and project management experience;
- Experience developing and providing capacity building and/or training:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in English and Myanmar (Speaking and Writing):
- The ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels of staff, individuals from diverse cultures, and the public;
- Strong commitment to Project values of inclusion, rights and participatory governance;
- The ability to manage a heavy workload, meeting deadlines, multi-task and self-motivate through assignments and routines.
MS/MA in a related field, with 7 years relevant experience; or BS/BA and 10 years relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Provides technical and scientific leadership to those designing, and implementing technical strategies, programs or tools in specific technical areas. Provides technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence- based methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design. Builds capacity in country-level, regional or global program staff. Assesses current technical, scientific, managerial and operational efficiencies at the program, regional, or global levels as appropriate. Provides guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate technical standards and guidelines and that programs are technically sound. May evaluate proposal design and protocol development to en sure design is sound and based upon evidence- based practice. Provides global scientific leadership by staying current of evolving technical standards, guidelines, and program developments in area of expertise. Responsible for sharing best practices in their field of expertise and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks. Shares new knowledge/evidence and best practices through collaboration with relevant departments and personnel. May be required to coordinate and work with a diverse group of organizations, such as; the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW), district health staff, several international and national development partner organizations, and the USAID mission in order to complete work.
- Provide technical leadership in a specific technical component and/or program wide activities;
- With technical oversight, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity- building of specific technical components of programs;
- Participate in resource development activities;
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities, and following the standards and practices of the department and division;
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables, within area and function guidelines;
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures;
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners;
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs;
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components;
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound;
- May serve as a departmental resource on procedural, administrative and operational issues.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent - Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field;
- 5-8 Years of relevant experience in management of large projects and/or programs;
- Has ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities;
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills;
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office);
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language;
- Experience in specialized technical/medical field of study.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*