Role & Responsibility
As an experienced Communications professional, the Senior Communications Officer is responsible for (a) the development and execution of the corporate communications strategy for the Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) Vice Presidency and, as part of it, for (b) the design and execution of the communications strategy and communications advisory for the ITS Vice President and the World Bank Group (WBG) CIO.
Senior Communications Officer ensures that the ITS and the WBG CIO communications strategies both align with the ITS strategy and the overall WBG communications strategy.
Senior Communications Officer is a member of the ITS Communications and Outreach team and will report to the Team Lead, ITS Communications and Outreach team.
Specific Responsibilities Include
• Lead communications strategy design and implementation for the Information and Technology Solutions Vice President unit in the World Bank Group and, as part of it, for the Vice President and the World Bank Group (WBG) CIO. This includes defining IT and WBG CIO stakeholder audiences, designing an effective stakeholder engagement strategy and plan, and effectively positioning the CIO internally and externally with other technology organizations and international institutions, as needed.
• As part of the WBG CIO communications strategy, profiles the WBG CIO and appropriately promotes her/his message among key stakeholder groups using a variety of tactics, including external and internal events, online, social media, video, messaging, print, etc.
• Help anticipate critical communications and public relations issues facing the WBG CIO and lead the formulation of the WBG CIO’s public position.
• Responsible for all WBG CIO VP communications, including internal communications and staff engagements within the VPU, internal and external high-profile written messages, presentations, briefings, talking points, memos, and speeches.
• Provide communications guidance and coaching for the Vice President working closely with him/her daily.
• Provide strategic oversight and direction on all corporate communications activities, including VPU newsletter/s, online assets, VPU and WBG-wide messages, and IT emergency communications. Ensure timely delivery in all areas focusing on quality and innovation.
• Initiate effective professional relationships with key internal and external constituencies, including the media, technology organizations, businesses, academia, etc. Identify opportunities for and forge strategic partnerships both inside and outside the WBG to strengthen the WBG CIO’s overall effectiveness and image.
• Lead in risk identification and mitigation activities in the context of information and technology initiatives and topics as they relate to the WBG CIO.
• Oversee planning and coordination for major events, conferences, seminars, media interviews, public appearances and other communications-related events involving the WBG CIO.
• In all corporate initiatives, liaise closely with the World Bank Group Internal Communications Steering Committee team, External and Corporate relations and Communications Network colleagues across the Bank Group to ensure that communications are aligned. Liaise with the WBG Managing Director Office on behalf of the WBG CIO. Represent the team and ITS interests in the WBG Internal Communications Steering Committee, and ensure WBG CIO is informed of all corporate initiatives.
• Responsible for the IT communications processes and related updates.
• Put in place mechanisms to track communications activities effectiveness as part of team’s regular reporting.
• Provide communications guidance to members of the ITS Management Team.
• Liaise closely with team members responsible for client change management and change communications activities to ensure IT messages are aligned.
• Provide communications advice, support and oversight to other communications staff in the ITS Communications and Outreach team. Function as a backup for the Team Lead, ITS Communications and Outreach team.
Selection Criteria & Competencies :
• Master’s degree in Communications, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Journalism, or other related field with 8 years’ experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• State-of-the art knowledge in field of strategic communications and public affairs, and ability to address a range of issues related to a business group, including taking the lead on highly visible and sensitive assignments critical to the VPU.
• Substantial and diverse experience in all facets of communications and public affairs, and proven ability to conceptualize, design and implement major communications campaigns, strategies and programs.
• Experience in working closely with senior leaders on communications. Experience in dealing with media.
• Understanding and experience in organizational change management and leadership communications related to change. Experience in staff engagement.
• Proven ability to produce high-quality, creative written and visual communications materials.
• Understanding and knowledge of World Bank Group operations. Genuine interest in technology, internal/corporate communications, and marketing.
• Proven ability and flexibility to work simultaneously on a variety of complex tasks, meet deadlines, provide quality outputs, and attend to details while maintaining an overview of priorities. Strong organizational, research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Highly developed verbal and written communications skills, attention to detail, ability to convey complex messages succinctly and diplomatically. Demonstrated ability to write analytically and concisely -- in a short time and under pressure.
• Demonstrated political awareness and ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and to otherwise cultivate effective, productive client relationships/partnerships.
• Significant track record of achieving results. Ability to produce high-quality work with very short deadlines, to respond to unexpected work program needs, and to handle stress gracefully.
• Experience in supervising others.
• Excellent team player with ability to motivate and engage others. Capacity to influence without formal authority, and ability to forge strong and effective relationships and resolve differences across organizational boundaries. Superior and effective communication and networking abilities. Strong interpersonal skills, required to work effectively in teams, with management, and with colleagues at all levels.
• Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
• High degree of ethical integrity, discretion, tact, and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients, colleagues and stakeholders at all levels.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*