The Senior Director, Sustainable Development and UN Policy manages the execution of the Foundation’s work on sustainable development to support implementation, monitoring and accountability of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Financing for Development and other related issues. The Senior Director will be based in UNF’s New York Office and report to the Senior Vice President through the Adviser for Sustainable Development, while developing close and collaborative relationships with relevant teams across UNF. S/he coordinates and manages a small team to ensure the Foundation has nimble and responsive capacity to track and analyze UN-related issues, with a special focus on the Sustainable Development and Financing for Development agendas and UN reform. The Senior Director works closely with other teams across the organization as needed.
- Oversee workplans and activities related to the Foundations work on sustainable development and other related issues, managing staff, allocating tasks, tracking progress and correcting course as needed. Ensure that the team is on track to meet donor deliverables;
- Manage and track the portions of the budget related to sustainable development activities;
- Oversee preparation of donor and internal reporting as it relates to sustainable development activities;
- Proactively identify opportunities for UNF to strengthen and support the UN on SDG adoption and delivery, and foster constructive dialogue;
- Understand the landscape and debates on sustainable development and other UN-related policy issues, identifying opportunities, developing plans, and executing strategic priorities and activities;
- Organize policy-related convenings and other activities;
- Maintain an awareness of cross-cutting policy issues and debates at the UN with a special focus on implementation, monitoring and accountability of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Financing for Development (FfD);
- Develop and draft content, analysis, briefings and memos; conduct research as necessary, synthesize information and disseminate;
- Deliver written and oral presentations and briefings, including updates for partners, funders, colleagues, and senior UN and UNF leadership;
- Work with Communications staff to develop content as needed on cross-cutting SDG policy.
- 10 years’ experience (or equivalent) in strategy, management, budgeting, and international development (preferred) or foreign policy and Master’s degree in related field;
- Exceptional project management skills, as well as writing, and communications;
- Proven experience managing staff;
- Ability to drive projects from inception to implementation and attention to detail;
- Proven ability to work across departments and with partners to accomplish mission;
- Self-starter; flexibility and a team player;
- Proven ability to research, analyze, and write on a variety of policy and development issues at a high analytical level;
- Ability to develop, maintain and enjoy effective working relationships with people from a wide variety of organizations and with a wide variety of functional expertise;
- Previous experience administering and monitoring commitments to and from external partners and other departments;
- Experience with the Sustainable Development Goals, international development, international agreements and multilateral negotiations, or the United Nations;
- Communications skills (listen, speaking, and writing);
- Continuous learning skills and the ability to synthesize information;
- Multi-cultural experience;
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*