The Gender Specialist will provide guidance on gender mainstreaming throughout project implementation. S/he will be responsible for gender analysis and gender strategy. The Gender Specialist will identify gender implications or opportunities in the program, seeking to address embedded gender issues and promote gender equity, as appropriate, in all phases of program implementation and internal management.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL).
- Project will successfully mainstream gender into project operations;
- All staff will be sensitized to look at all proposed activities through a gender lens and take gender seriously to ensure that a portion of business advisors are women and that support to women-headed businesses are prioritized;
- Project will conduct a gender analysis to ensure that women fully participate in and benefit from the project. The analysis will explore key gender related needs, issues, opportunities and constrains that will be addressed by the project;
- Project gender strategy, informed by the analysis, will provide specific policies and activities to be incorporated in the activities through-out the life of the project;
- Women will have an increased awareness of LED activities and enterprise successes.
- Implement gender analysis;
- Design gender strategy;
- Conduct staff and partner training;
- Engage with project partners on gender mainstreaming;
- Contribute to grant development focusing on women headed businesses;
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation activities focusing on gender equity.
- At least a Masters’ degree in social studies, business, international development, or a related field (or, alternately, a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 5 additional years of relevant experience);
- At least 5 years’ technical experience in donor-funded gender programming;
- Experience with women-focused employment and business programming is highly desired;
- Previous experience working in the Middle East and North Africa and on economic growth programs is desirable but not required; experience working in Lebanon is highly desirable, but not required;
- Excellent English skills are required; Arabic language skills are highly desirable but not required;
- Local and regional candidates strongly encouraged to apply;
- Position contingent upon donor funding.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*