The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) provides strategic insights and policy solutions for decision-makers in government, international institutions, the private sector, and civil society. A bipartisan, nonprofit organization headquartered in Washington, DC, CSIS conducts research and analysis and develops policy initiatives that look into the future and anticipate change.
The Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative (AMTI) at CSIS provides a platform for information, analysis, and policy exchange on maritime security issues in the Asia Pacific. AMTI aims to promote transparency to cut through misinformation, dissuade assertive behavior, and promote solutions to Asia’s maritime dispute. The AMTI website combines engaging multimedia products and high-level analysis to provide an accessible, one stop shop for information about maritime Asia.
CSIS offers full and part-time internships for undergraduates, graduate students, and recent graduates who are interested in gaining practical experience in public policy. The internship with the AMTI program is part-time, and paid.
The Initiative is recruiting interns who are highly motivated, professional, and have a strong foundation in Asia-Pacific studies, international relations/security studies, and/or maritime law. Excellent research and writing skills are required. Strong preference will be given to candidates who:
• Possess a deep grasp of the current political climate and history of the Asia Pacific
• Understand historical, legal, and security issues in the South and East China Seas and Indian Ocean
• Have attained or are working towards a Master’s degree in a related field of study
• Knowledge of web design and content management, social media expertise, and/or geographical information systems (GIS) a plus.
Priority will be given to interns that can commit to an internship lasting 4 months.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
We operate a fast-paced, dynamic program, and require interns who are passionate, capable, and can work both in teams and independently. Interns will contribute to a variety of long term research, help compile AMTI Features published every 2-4 weeks, provide general program support, and contribute to the program’s social media presence.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Must be at least a college junior in good standing, an advanced student, or a recent graduate.
• Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution.
• Must be able to work in the United States.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performances of duties require the use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*