External communications at the country, regional and global levels help UNDP achieve its critical Strategic Plan goals, contributing to raising the organization’s profile, influencing policy, engaging stakeholders, mobilizing resources and increasing impact. The Communications Group is a vital part of advancing strategic communications across the organization, attracting positive attention, strengthening recognition of UNDP’s work and raising the profile of the organization.
The Communications Group leads and manages external communications through strategy, media, digital communications, marketing, branding and global storytelling. The Deputy Director, Communications is a key position within the organization to assist the Director, Communications in ensuring strategic and effective external communications and building a culture of communications across the organization with creativity and resilience within constrained resources. The Deputy Director helps to oversee the development and implementation of the UNDP’s communications strategy and its alignment with UNDP’s Strategic Plan and the Sustainable Development Goals; and to shape organizational Communications priorities and improve our branding, marketing, messaging and public positioning. Reporting to the Director, Communications, s/he supports the Director by managing and overseeing extensive internal and administrative operations and functions. The Deputy Director line manages all Communications personnel out posted to other offices within HQ and globally, working hand in hand with the Director to oversee the overall functioning of the Communications Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
Works with the Director, Communications to develop and implement communications strategy and planning:
- With the Director, Communications, works to develop an organization-wide communications strategy and plans, helping to improve UNDP’s capacity to communicate UNDP’s programmatic work and thought leadership to the public at large and to donors, governments, and influential audiences;
- Supports coordination of communications efforts across UNDP’s global, regional and country offices and units;
- Ensures coordination and alliance with communications strategies across the UN and UN Development Group as well as other UN and civil society and private sector partners;
- Under the leadership of the Director, develops and monitors corporate communications priorities, goals, and outcomes.
Ensure effective management of Communications Group’s budgets, operations, contracts, procurement, and internal reporting:
- Under the leadership of the Director, Communications, oversees and manages the day-to-day Group operation in relation to the financial and general administration aspects.
- Coordinating with the Bureau of Management Services, including the Finance, Human Resources, Legal, and Procurement teams, as well as the BERA Management Support Unit, to monitor the Communications Group budget and expenses; oversee all procurement, contracting, legal, human resources and other processes;
- Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring and reporting on Communications work plans and activities including the corporate Annual Business Planning processes and internal Integrated Work Plan as well as reporting via the integrated results framework, audit, and other internal oversight processes;
- Under the leadership of Director, Communications, manage day-to-day the Communications staff outside of teams who report to the Communications Director, including those outposted to other offices in HQ, to Regional Hubs and Representation Offices. Responsibilities for management include work planning, operations, and performance and career management processes;
- Contribute to the collaboration between the Communications Group primary teams (Media & Advocacy, Online & Digital, Fundraising & Engagement and Marketing & Outreach) to maintain a high-functioning, cooperative Communications Group management team.
Advises on and supports management of the development and implementation of major UNDP Communications projects and campaigns:
- In support of the Communications Director and working with the team leaders in the Communications Group, contributes ongoing strategic direction, advice and guidance on UNDP advocacy, media relations, events, digital platforms including social media, marketing, branding and engagement with and fundraising from individuals;
- Ensures that media relations and media outreach are consistent and high-quality and are focused on priority media markets and outlets; contributes to and advises on managing reputational risk and responding to negative coverage.
Oversight of communications training, quality control, resource mobilization support and outreach:
- Ensures that Communications efforts are well-aligned to support UNDP’s resource mobilization strategies and activities with a special focus on coordinating support for donor-related communications products and support;
- Ensures quality and consistency in the development and roll out of training tools and toolkits covering all aspects of communication, facilitating communications capacity-building for UNDP staff in HQ, regional hubs and country offices;
- Helps to institutionalize quality control practice of corporate communications materials produced in HQ, regional hubs and country offices.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done.
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve organizational efficiency.
Brand & Quality Management:
- Ability to position a UNDP brand and uphold it to a high level of quality
- Ability to communicate the value of a product or service
- Originating and/or editing written content for media and the general public to be disseminated through press or other online outlets.
- Ability to identify and oversee strategies for engaging with multiple audiences through a variety of internet, social media and mobile communications platforms.
- Ability to manage the spread of information between the UNDP and the public.
- Capacity to manage day-to-day activities to meet operational needs.
- Ability to scan and synthesize diverse sets of information to arrive at strategic priorities and positioning recommendations.
- Ability to evaluate, transform and model data to derive relevant findings- undertake & provide analysis of data to assess Org performance and or global trends.
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge.
- Ability to strengthen and maintain the capabilities of individuals, societies, organizations and governments to set and achieve development objectives over time.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism or other relevant field or Bachelor’s degree and two additional years of relevant work experience in lieu of an advanced degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience of professional experience in communications, journalism, advocacy, or campaigns with increasing responsibilities in administration and management, with a demonstrated track record of successfully managing multiple people, processes and projects in a complex environment;
- Demonstrated operational management skills to effectively implement corporate planning, budgets, contracts, internal reporting and other administrative processes and systems are a top requirement of this position. Proven excellence in people management;
- A proven ability to effectively manage high profile global initiatives and campaigns, with experience with successful advocacy campaigns, new communications technologies, branding and marketing, and outreach to diverse global and national audiences; and a proven track record of success in generating and garnering media coverage for international development or international relations issues;
- Experience with communications for fundraising and donor relations;
- International and developing country experience and perspective, including field experience in international development contexts, is strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of a second UN language desirable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*