More than 80 years after Albert Einstein helped create the International Rescue Committee, the number and intensity of humanitarian crises across the globe warrant a dose of Einstein-inspired vision.
Every month, nearly one million people flee their homes because of conflicts or natural disasters. With few wars ending, and new wars starting, the number of people displaced has surpassed 65million, the most since World War II. Their growing and increasingly complex needs mandate a transformation—a creative rethinking—in the global humanitarian response.
Our strategy – IRC 2020 – is our answer. We are building programs that rebuild lives, providing more and faster rescue and relief, creating the capacity for systematic research to develop innovative approaches to crisis situations, and building collaboration with the public, private and nonprofit sectors
Job Overview/Job Summary
As a key member of the IRC’s Global Communications team, the Senior Communications Officer will help with the development of a Communications strategy that brings the IRC’s story and profile to new audiences, especially targeted influential consumer audiences and the private sector.
The Senior Officer will lead communications within an existing portfolio of partners, convening and working with multiple departments and stakeholders to deliver measurable communications results.
The person in this role will be a communications expert who:
* Identifies & grows key IRC media and influencer targets that go beyond the policy / humanitarian sectors by developing and securing opportunities that raise IRC’s profile.
* Creates and gets buy-in for new and “big” ideas, then works with multiple internal and external constituencies to bring those ideas to fruition – and get results.
* Implements cross- functional efforts to identify and develop positioning for programs, partnerships and people in order to significantly bolster the impact of IRC campaigns.
* Develops and implements a long term communications strategy highlights IRC’s partnerships that includes, joint opportunities, activations, earned media, social engagement and creative product development.
* In collaboration with other communications colleagues, expands IRC’s media reach by identifying colorful “stories behind the story,” resulting in IRC-feature coverage in target outlets, beats and channels.
* Works alongside our corporate and foundation partnerships team to develop compelling joint opportunities, including partnership activations like launches and events.
* Represents the IRC with corporate partners, including executive leadership.
* In close collaboration with our Entertainment Relations team, develops and secures communication opportunities to best leverage IRC voice
* Crafts simple and compelling narratives based on complex themes
* Writes press release, media pitches, blogs and op-eds.
Key Working Relationships:
* Position Reports to: Director of Global Communications, Programs & Partnerships
* Position directly supervises: n/a
* Indirect Reporting: n/a
* Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Work with global communications colleagues, writers, content creators, IRC advocates and fundraisers
Work with journalists, media producers and editors, strategic influencers and communications colleagues from partner organizations
* Genuine excitement about the notion of bringing our amazing stories to new audiences
* 6+ years in Consumer and/or Brand communications in the NGO or Cause-Marketing sectors
* Private sector experience preferred.
* A creative thinker who’s able to navigate complexity and ambiguity to get to the heart of and cultivate a great story.
* An experienced generalist who thinks about and drives Communications across channels, e.g., video, digital, social, internal and media.
* A strategist, planner and do-er, i.e., someone who has a proven track record of developing creative ideas and campaigns and drive implementation.
* A history of working on profile-raising, dynamic public-private and/or luminary/celebrity campaigns, and a comfort level engaging with and providing counsel.
* Superior Communications “hard skills,” e.g., a terrific writer with a demonstrated ability to develop, pitch and secure feature coverage in top-tier media.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*