The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Position: Program Officer, Eurasia
Reports To: Regional Director, Europe, Eurasia and South Asia
Summary: The Program Officer is responsible for developing and implementing CIPE’s country strategies, programs, communications strategies and grants to indigenous organizations in the Eurasia region, with a particular focus on CIPE’s programs in the Caucasus, Belarus and Moldova.
Position Available: Immediately
- Work with Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director, to develop and implement a strategy for accomplishing CIPE’s objectives in Eurasia, with a particular focus on the Caucasus, Belarus and Moldova.
- Provide day-to-day management of CIPE’s NED-funded and other programs in the region, including communications with and oversight of partners, ensuring that projects meet established objectives and workplans.
- Manage projects and grants, including: identifying potential grantees and counseling them on how to develop CIPE project proposals; analyzing project proposals against the overall strategy, grant guidelines and criteria; conducting comprehensive background checks on applicant organizations and key individuals; monitoring and evaluating grantee performance to ensure full compliance; and evaluating completed projects.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other donor and international organizations to create linkages with CIPE strategies and to monitor regional trends.
- Work with other assistance programs to develop joint projects, grants and/or contracts to further private sector and democratic development.
- Identify and develop new business opportunities to advance CIPE’s strategies in assigned countries and subregion(s).
- Work with Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director to develop and manage the communications programs in Eurasia to inform business organizations, public policy research centers, and opinion leaders regarding CIPE’s programs.
- Monitor current events in the region and assess the impact on ongoing and planned CIPE projects.
- Adhere to appropriate office procedures, CIPE and donor organization policies and procedures.
- Supervise, develop, and manage junior program staff.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred; Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Education and professional background in international affairs and/or Eurasia area studies, with a focus on politics or economics. Deep familiarity with current political and business issues in the Eurasia region. Familiarity with Caucasus, Moldova and Belarus preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ experience developing and managing complex international development assistance programs, with an emphasis on economic growth, governance, democracy.
- Substantive knowledge of key CIPE program areas preferred, such as anticorruption, policy reform, corporate governance, or civil society development.
- Fluent (native-level) speaking, writing and reading Russian language skills are required, including extensive experience living and working in the Eurasia region.
- Excellent English-language writing skills, as evidenced by writing samples (see below).
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; team orientation.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop, establish and maintain good relationships with international partners and donors
- Strong project management skills preferred
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage and monitor project budgets
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and supervise junior staff
- Strong IT Skills in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Internet research skills are highly desired.
- Must be willing to travel for extended and multiple periods
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, two writing samples, and salary history to [email protected], with the subject EURPO17 – [Your last name]. No phone calls please.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.