Do foreign cultures and international relations fascinate you?
Have you ever considered a career with the United Nations, Foreign Service or similar organization?
Are you interested in learning more about diplomacy and cross-cultural exchange?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above, then read on!
The Open Hands Initiative is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to people-to-people diplomacy. We work to identify and bring together young leaders from the U.S. and other countries in order to expose them to different cultures, provide professional and leadership development, and deepen their interdependence and respect for one another. Through educational and cultural exchanges in the fields of health, culture, media and more, we seek to establish a reservoir of goodwill that can withstand our respective government’s policy differences.
This fall, the Open Hands Initiative is seeking a Program Assistant for a temporary, part-time position. This would be ideal for a current student or recent graduate looking to gain experience working in the non-profit sector. The Program Assistant will be closely involved in the planning for an upcoming international exchange program (check out www.openhandsinitiative.org to see examples of the work we do) and may have the opportunity to participate in the trip itself.
The Program Assistant should feel comfortable working with a small team on a variety of tasks, from social media management and communications to light administrative work and even event management. Since you’ll need to be a bit of a Jack or Jill of all trades, you should have some experience in one or more of those areas, as well as the willingness to work on these different tasks as required by the team.
- Social Media: Contribute to the organization’s social media activities, such as creating and scheduling posts for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Design ads, campaigns, or videos to promote the program and the organization’s mission. Set target objectives and track progress towards these goals.
- Communications: Assist with media outreach and marketing, such as writing blog posts or press releases, scheduling interviews and press conferences.
- Research: Track the latest news in public diplomacy initiatives and follow current events the countries and thematic areas where we are working. Conduct other research and write up memos as needed.
- Programming & Events: Support the team and our partners in event planning and execution. Liaise with our partners and program participants to ensure a smooth and seamless experience for the group in the lead up to and during the program.
- Proactive, energetic and diplomatic demeanor.
- At least 2 years of relevant work or internship experience is required, preferably in administration, communications, event management, non-profits, or a related field.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are a must.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
- Understanding of how to use different social platforms.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, productivity tools, and creative software.
Send an email to Tara ([email protected]) with subject line “Internship”.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*