The Senior Program Officer will be responsible for management and over-sight of the Women’s Refugee Commission’s responsibilities for Phase II of the Global Refugee Youth Consultations, a project co-led with UNHCR. The Senior Program Officer will supervise the Program Coordinator, maintain regular communication with UNHCR’s Adolescent and Youth Advisor, and manage all aspects of program implementation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervise Program Coordinator;
- Provide support, as needed, to UNHCR Country Offices in the establishment and work of national youth councils;
- Provide support, as needed, to UNHCR for the establishment and work of the Global Youth Advisory Council;
- Develop, in partnership with youth, and other actors from the Youth and Adolescents in Emergencies Advocacy Group capacity and leadership training workshop curricula;
- Develop, in partnership with youth, and other actors from the Youth and Adolescents in Emergencies Advocacy Group capacity and leadership training materials for the UNHCR refugee and host country UNVs;
- Plan and facilitate, with youth, national capacity and leadership training workshops in nine countries;
- Prepare and work with youth representatives at high-level fora – such as the thematic sessions on the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework, the UNHCR High Commissioner’s Dialogue, and the UNHCR – NGO Consultations;
- Guide and assist refugee youth-led research projects;
- Support and oversee national protection projects implemented by youth;
- Participate in the Compact for Young People in Humanitarian Action and insure refugee youth and their voices are represented;
- Participate in and liaise with the Youth and Adolescents in Emergencies Advocacy Group;
- Assist with the development of guidance on implementation of the Core Actions for Refugee Youth;
- Collect and document good practices on youth participation, youth leadership, and youth-led protection projects;
- Liaise, work with and support the UN Volunteers, as needed, complementing the support received by the UNHCR Country Offices.
- Oversee and manage project budget;
- Oversee disbursement and utilization of protection project grants for field-based partners;
- Coordinate with the Senior Finance Officer on donor financial reporting requirements.
Research and Writing
- Prepare donor reports;
- Write grant proposals, if necessary, to further build out the project;
- Document good practices;
- Draft guidance and tools, as necessary, in partnership with UNHCR and refugee youth.
Advocacy and Public Education
- Represent the Women's Refugee Commission on refugee youth issues to a variety of audiences, including with policy makers, government, and U.N. officials, at public events, meetings, conferences, with media, and other venues as appropriate.
- Master’s Degree in international affairs, youth and community work, child protection, social work, social science research, non-profit management, or related field;
- Minimum 5 years of field experience in humanitarian assistance working with displaced populations;
- Minimum 2 - 3 years project management experience in refugee protection and humanitarian assistance programs;
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in working with marginalized youth;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Proven record of effective project management, demonstrating the ability to ensure that projects are carried out on time, within budget, and producing products of excellent quality;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to travel – approximately 25% time;
- Proven record as a team player, demonstrating flexibility and diplomacy;
- Excellent written and spoken English; working knowledge of French, Arabic or Spanish desirable;
- Good Computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, and email/internet software;
- Abide by the Women’s Refugee Commission accountability commitments.
To apply, please send a cover letter along with your résumé.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*