The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Position: Program Assistant, Asia
Reports To: Program Officer, Asia
Summary: As part of a team reporting to the Regional Director, this position is responsible for providing administrative, programmatic, and research support. The ideal candidate will be able to handle multiple detail-oriented tasks with limited supervision, have a demonstrable interest in economic development and democratic reform in Asia and the Pacific, and work well as part of a diverse team and within a dynamic international organization.
- Provide backstopping support for CIPE’s entire portfolio of projects in Asia.
- Assist the Asia Program Officers in writing and compiling narrative and financial reports, proposals, contracts and budgets, as well as conducting background research as needed.
- Create and maintain program, financial, correspondence and contract files, both in paper form and electronically.
- Prepare routine correspondence on behalf of the Asia team for CIPE’s partners and stakeholders.
- Working in close collaboration with the Asia Program Officers and other CIPE departments, ensure processing of payment requests, travel expense reports, documents for signature, and international travel arrangements.
- Assist in managing team budgets and oversee various project budgets.
- Track political developments in the region.
- Attend and report on relevant conferences, meetings, and other events.
- Manage special projects as needed.
- Adhere to appropriate office procedures, CIPE and donor organization policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Education and professional background in international affairs and/or Asia area studies, with an emphasis on political and economic issues preferred.
- Knowledge of and interest in economic and political affairs in Southeast Asia.
- Fluency in a relevant language required (such as Burmese, Khmer, Thai or Chinese)
- Excellence in English composition, writing and reporting.
- At least one year of administrative office experience, particularly in supporting significant international programs.
- Ability to handle multiple, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously with limited supervision.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; team orientation.
- Computer skills, proficiency in MS-Office, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook. Internet research skills are highly desired.
- Financial skills and acumen preferred, particularly in budget creation and oversight.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the region as needed
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, two writing samples, and salary history to [email protected], with the subject AsiaPA – [Your last name]. No phone calls please.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.