AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The Travel and Logistics Coordination (TLC) Department is a vital part of the program operations of AFS USA. The TLC department is responsible for the overall coordination and management of travel and logistics planning and implementation as it pertains to the Hosting and Sending Programs of AFS-USA. The Manger for US Hosting Travel’s role is to manage e the day-to-day operations of the department as they relate to the major hosting travel events: Departure Day and Arrivals in compliance with performance standards, organizational practices and budget parameter. Interview, select and train RTLC staff
RESPONSIBILITIES: (Key functions)
1. Hosting Participant Departures
- Supervise two (2) Regional Travel and Logistics Coordinators (RTLC’s) to ensure that planning timelines are on track.
- Monitor and support t RTLC’s with planning bus chaperons and routes within budget constraints and in compliance with operating practices
- Maintain accurate database of student travel information.
- Train and supervise the RTLC’s to ensure Departure Day sites are arranged and coordinated, ensure key volunteers are recruited, and bus plans are secured.
- Support Eastern RTLC with day of site logistics for NY Departure Day event
- Ensure that all travel is accurate and tickets reissues for return international flights.
- Manage international ticket reconfirmation process for 2300+ participants to ensure compliance with international flight standards.
2. International and Domestic Travel Coordination for Arrivals
- Coordinate the arrival of international flights with partners and AFS Travel.
- Maintain travel system database of international travel.
- Monitor and support RTLC’s to ensure key volunteers are recruited for each gateway, and ensure gateway logistical needs are completed and within budget.
- Manage New York Arrivals gateway logistics with RTLC for Eastern Region.
- Coordinate long-haul charter buses with RTLC to ensure compliance with budget and travel operation standards.
- Disseminate travel information to AFS Partners, authorize placement and travel changes minimize additional budget expenditure
- Ensure all accounting related to event is processed and reconciled in timely manner.
3. General Responsibilities
- Work with RTLC’s to develop travel related training materials for AFS volunteers and staff.
- Manages the recruitment process of seasonal staff including interview and selection of seasonal staff
- Manage, train and evaluate the hosting season staff
- Budget Management of all costs related to hosting.
- Duty officer coverage during periods of student travel
- Airport duty as necessary, work on-site for major events, including weekend and evenings
- Assist Director of Travel Operations with projects as needed.
- BA/BS Degree in International Relations, or a related field required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in management in event or travel planning required.
- Conference/event planning experience, including travel planning.
- Prior experience working with volunteers and teenagers
- Experience with budget management preferred
- Experience in international travel and/or living abroad
- Ability to train/orient new staff
- Clean driver’s license
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel required
- Experience with database management, including reporting
- Strong relationship skills, customer service orientation
- Self-motivation: strong organizational skills; able to multi-task
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Experience in building/supporting strong teams.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*