IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY16, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $19 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Corporate Strategy & Partnership Unit (CSSSP) is one of two units in the Corporate Strategy Department (CSSDR), reporting to the VP of Corporate Strategy & Resources (CSTVP). The VPU provides a seamless integration of strategy, resource allocation and metrics by integrating such functions as strategy, budget, and the Corporate Scorecard.
CSSSP provides expert support to Senior Management and Operations on the formulation and execution of corporate strategy. This includes developing the IFC corporate strategy, partnering on WBG corporate strategy, providing relevant analytics and perspectives to IFC Senior Management, and advising and working with departments on the development of their own strategies.
One large component of the CSSSP work-stream is the development, articulation and presentation of Sector Deep Dives. Sector Deep Dives demonstrate to the World Bank Group Board how IFC intends to operationalize its new “IFC 3.0” Strategy and define how market creation works in practice. CSSSP originates, develops and delivers each Sector Deep dive in conjunction with IFC’s Industry Departments to the IFC Management Team and the Board. Each Deep Dive uses specific frameworks, accountability measures and metrics that are consistent across each sector and can be applied across regions and countries.
Within this context, CSSSP interfaces with the IFC Board, management of the other WBG institutions, and with stakeholders and partners across IFC and the broader WBG. It also manages the IFC Investment Client survey, acts as the Secretariat for IFC’s Strategists and Economists (S&E) Network, and manages strategic initiatives.
CSSSP is looking for a Strategy Officer to join the team as a key contributor to various facets of the unit’s work.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
S/he will support the Unit in delivering its mandate across functions, with an initial focus on providing:
- Support for the development, articulation and dissemination of IFC corporate strategy, including the IFC Sector Deep Dives across the Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services and Venture Capital and Funds Departments; This includes, amongst other areas preparing research on needs and gaps analysis at the industry and sub-industry level, sector market trends, use of private delivery models, and mobilizing capital towards meeting the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Planning and process management: developing overall workplans for deep dive; define goals and milestones, allocate activities and tasks to relevant team members, helping to lead interviews, meetings and workshops, work with the secretariat (MT / Board) to manage processes, summarize board discussions
- Meeting facilitation: setting agendas for meetings and prepare relevant materials; leading regular core and extended team discussions, ensuring follow-up actions are taken after meetings, facilitating workshops to integrate and synthesize discussions;
- Analysis execution: identifying and prioritizing potential strategic opportunities, providing quality control/ input on analyses;
- Developing and outlining of presentations and key messages, drafting presentation and summary memorandum, seeking and incorporate feedback from Industry teams;
- Sharing best practices and lessons learned, continuously improving standard processes by helping define overall program and providing quality control / input at every milestone
- Research, analysis, framework development and measures of success to support strategic decisions by the Management Team on specific corporate issues.
- Analyzing industry fundamentals and identifying “over the horizon” trends to support strategy development, innovation, and current and future opportunities for IFC engagement;
- When needed, support the development, articulation and dissemination of IFC’s Strategy and Business Outlook (SBO) including relevant updates;
- S/he will work closely with colleagues within CSSSP, and the S&E Network, as well as with other counterparts in IFC, the WBG and IEG as appropriate, and will represent CSSSP as needed.
- A Master’s degree in International Relations, Economics, Finance or Business Administration, with an excellent academic record, and a demonstrated grasp of core economic and financial concepts, development issues and impact;
- Well-developed analytical, conceptual and strategy formulation capabilities; demonstrated ability to combine the big picture with attention to detail, macro and microeconomic issues; and identify patterns across contexts leading to insights of relevance to corporate strategy;
- A strong professional track record with at least five years of relevant work experience in corporate strategy, management consulting, economic development, banking and/or economic functions that include exposure to the role of private investment in developing countries. Exposure to project management is a plus;
- Knowledge of private sector development, including exposure to policy issues that impact private investment;
- Familiarity with the World Bank Group and its areas of focus and operation, particularly IFC services;
- Ability to synthesize large volumes of information from diverse sources.
- Top-notch Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel skills essential, and experience with further quantitative, statistical, analytical or data visualization software packages such as Tableau, Stata, SPSS, Analytica a significant plus;
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills.
- Creativity and innovation, flexibility, responsiveness, and ability to manage multiple activities to tight deadlines; and
- A team player with leadership potential, combining excellent interpersonal skills in diverse and multi-disciplinary environments, with a collaborative attitude and proven capacity to build and manage effective relationships at all staff levels.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*