USA Rice is a nonprofit trade association with programs that include the promotion of U.S. rice domestically and abroad. USA Rice also represents industry interests in federal legislative and regulatory matters, industry quality standards, education, research, product development, and policy.
U.S. grown rice and rice products are a $30+ billion industry. Approximately 18 million tons of rice is grown annually in Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and Missouri. About half of the U.S. crop is exported with Mexico as the number one destination. Eighty-five percent of the rice consumed in the U.S. is grown here.
USA Rice is recruiting for a Manager, International Policy to report to the Chief Operating Officer, to execute activities and achieve the goals of the International Policy program area. Responsible for direct and indirect staff support of USA Rice boards and committees having oversight of the international policy program area; ongoing production of e-publications, maintenance of databases, and assigned policy areas.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: include, but are not limited to:
Assist COO with board and committee liaison responsibilities. Act as staff liaison for the World Market Price Subcommittee and the USA Rice Millers’ Association and its committees including preparing materials and arranging logistics.
• Manage the international food aid portfolio for USA Rice.
• Develop strategies to maximize use of U.S. rice in international food aid, and serve as liaison with Food Aid Subcommittee.
• Establish relationships with relevant officials at USDA, USAID, WFP and the PVO community and track USDA food aid tenders.
• Contribute to USA Rice’s Unified Export Strategy as regards food aid in conjunction with the VP International.
• Provide technical support on market access issues including TRQ administration, phytosanitary barriers and maximum residue levels for chemicals.
• Responsible for the weekly publication of the Rice Executive and maintenance of several related databases.
• Produce the annual Domestic Utilization Report (DUR), including database management and contact with mills.
• Maintain the program areas’ content on the USA Rice website and write articles for the USA Rice Daily and other publications.
• Assist in preparation and submission of USA Rice comments to the administration in the International Policy area based on daily monitoring of the Federal Register. Also attend meetings, briefings, and hearings.
• Participate in and execute assignments of cross-departmental teams at USA Rice.
• Represent USA Rice at industry events and meetings and make presentations as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Position requires a self-directed individual with excellent:
• organizational skills involving data collection, analysis and presentation;
• communication and interpersonal skills, including excellent writing skills.
• Microsoft Office Suite; Excel proficiency
• Experience with CRM or CRM-type databases
• Bachelors Degree ideally in international trade, international relations, international business, or related field
• three to five years’ experience in government or international trade policy
• Previous work with trade associations and familiarity with agriculture a plus
• Some travel is required
Position requires a high-energy, self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with good organizational, written and oral communication skills.
Working Conditions and/or Physical Requirements
• Attendance at meetings outside the office, in Washington, DC, rice growing and other states, and, internationally.
• Physical ability to work on a computer at a desk for long periods.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Competitive benefits package; Principals only; No Phone Calls; EEO.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*