Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
The Senior Program Manager will be a highly valued member of the program team and will be responsible for operational management of the MENA program portfolio, including budgeting and financial management of activity funds, performance monitoring and reporting.
Job Purpose: Manage the MENA & South Asia program portfolio
Location: Washington, DC
Travel: Up to 25% required (domestic and international)
Reporting to: Director, MENA & South Asia
Under the direction of the Director, MENA & South Asia the Senior Program Manager is responsible for developing and managing the following:
Program Plan and Management
- Design of activities within the framework of the regional program strategy, project-specific requirements and resource allocations, including cost estimates;
- Recommending priorities for budgeted funds given regional and project-specific performance objectives and current achievements of results, and drafting resource requests;
- Drafting documents required for activity approval (scopes of work, estimated budgets, etc.);
- Reviewing current pipelines, accrued expenditures, and analyzing projected funding requirements, based on estimated costs and on spending rates of committed funds;
- Management of technical services provided by consultants and staff, including program documentation and funding procedures; and
- Coordinating the monitoring/documenting program and/or project performance and financial management included in the Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
Program Performance Management
- Maintain direct communication with the project teams, and serve as a management resource for the in-country teams;
- Participate in the review and approval of the team’s work plans to ensure the activities are appropriately focused on CIVIC’s priorities and agreed upon results;
- Ensure timely submission of the required reporting documentation by the funding organizations and analyze the reports for accuracy and consistency;
- Conduct site or field visits to ensure the quality of services provided by the project team are consistent with the project scope;
- Represent CIVIC at meetings, seminars, conferences, and other activity-related events, and analyze and report on them to the Director, MENA & South Asia;
- Evaluate the activity progress towards the specified results and ensure its accurate documentation; and
- Maintain official files on the activities s/he is directly responsible for.
Assist in overall Development/Design of Programs
- Participate in defining country/thematic programs and project objectives and desired results;
- Developing/refining the results framework and performance management plan, including indicators;
- Supporting the evaluation of program results against the strategy and objectives;
- Articulating the strategy and objectives to the project teams;
- Estimating resource requirements for future years, based on program plans and results; and
- Providing substantial input to the Director, MENA & South Asia and Development Team for the preparation of any proposal submissions related to this region.
- 5-7 years experience and a successful track record leading complex programs including development, implementation, management and oversight;
- A deep understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflicts;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a stressful, conflict environment;
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs and work as part of a team;
- Creative thinking and an ability to develop new lines of work, whether on new countries or particular thematic issues; and
- Excellent leader (lead by example) and skills developer particularly with remote staff;
- B.A. in international affairs, business administration, or related area; MA, MS, or JD preferred;
- 8+ years relevant full-time staff level work experience required;
- Significant project leadership and management experience;
- Demonstrated tireless work ethic;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a senior member of our team;
- Availability for a period of 2 years (renewable);
- English mandatory;
- A sense of humor and a passion for people and leadership.
CIVIC provides an innovative benefits package geared toward attracting and retaining high potential individuals and includes a flexible leave package (including all government holidays and the week between Christmas and the New Year). We also offer employer paid health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life and disability insurance, and 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary).
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*