AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into 'Real Possibilities' by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name. As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
Policy, Research and International Affairs (PRI) serves AARP by leading the development and articulation of AARP’s public policies, research and insights on the 50+ and issues that matter to them, importing best global practices, and strengthening AARP's reputation for world class expertise and thought leadership.
The Vice President, AARP International is an integral part of the Policy, Research and International (“PRI”) group, which includes Thought Leadership, the AARP Public Policy Institute, AARP International, the Office of Policy Development & Integration and AARP Research. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Thought Leadership, the Vice President of AARP International is a strategic thinker and visionary leader with a primary responsibility for positioning AARP as a global thought leader in aging. This position develops and executes the enterprise-wide strategic direction for international engagement, including programmatic, policy and operational activities.
With both external and internal facing responsibilities, the Vice President, AARP International is comfortable serving as a principal international spokesperson for AARP and managing a complex program and team. They are thoughtful and methodical in how they advise senior leadership on international matters that could impact the reputation, goodwill valuation, or brand value of AARP.
This position requires a high level of integrity and strong, committed leadership to develop and maintain partnerships with key external entities and various internal groups at AARP. This position negotiates for resource commitments and collaborates with diverse stakeholders to meet organizational objectives.
The Vice President, AARP International:
- Serves as a key thought leader and international spokesperson on issues of global aging.
- Creates a body of original written and verbal content on global public policy issues, social change, and marketplace opportunities related to the 50+ community, and presents that content through published articles, speaking engagements and other channels.
- Positions AARP as a global thought leader by developing and maintaining relationships with key thought leaders and influencers in the public, private, and philanthropic sectors as well as members of the media and multi-lateral institutions.
- Actively seeks and tracks best policies and practices in other parts of the world that could have promise for the United States, and leads programs and forums to promote key findings with relevant domestic leaders.
- Identifies near- and long-term opportunities for international collaboration to give visibility to and build the AARP brand.
- Cultivates strong, collaborative relationships with executive management, leadership teams, and staff throughout the organization.
- Develops, deploys, and continually refines a multi-year strategy and operational plan in accordance with identified quantitative and qualitative metrics for success.
- Serves as the international advisor to PRI leadership and executive management. Keeps all relevant parties apprised of progress and critical issues requiring broader guidance and input.
- Reviews all potential international engagements to ensure they are in line with the current strategic plan, brand, values, and conform to all AARP public policy stances and internal policies.
- Manages a multi-year budget and a staff of up to 10 people.
- Personally demonstrates in work and in action the highest levels of ethics and integrity.
The ideal candidate is:
- Both a pragmatic thinker and innovator who can effectively drive high impact insights within a team of subject matter experts and focus the activities of the team on a central, shared vision.
- A strong team leader who can build on the capabilities of an existing group of experts and develop their talents and abilities.
- Comfortable with complexity, and the changing nature of a high level internal and external role in a fast moving department.
- Fluent in the use of data and metrics to explain current trends in global aging.
This position requires complex problem solving skills, using both quantitative and qualitative data, and sound judgment in meeting goals that are often set with only broad enterprise policies and objectives in mind. Works independently and develops a long term plan based on general outlines as established at the executive level.
Operates in an environment requiring adaptation and agility with managing change. Requires a high degree of innovation and conceptualization, balanced with a focus on execution.
Reports to the Senior Vice President of Thought Leadership. Interacts frequently with PRI leadership, PRI staff, and AARP’s executive leadership. Balances priorities and demands in a collaborative and authoritative manner.
Responsible for effectively managing team’s operating budget including compensation and operating expenses. Accountable for making day-to-day decisions; cooperating and collaborating with other AARP leaders; and execution of committed work efforts and adherence to be agreed upon quality guidelines.
Dedicated focus on continuous improvement with clear responsibility for maximizing value of all international engagements and partners.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in international relations or international business, sociology, economics, public policy, or political science or related field; advanced degree preferred
- (MBA, MPA, JD, or Ph.D).
- 10+ years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of related training and relevant experience.
- Experience managing teams and long-term projects that require meticulous project management or other service-related support and resources.
- Strong understanding of budgeting, financial planning, and operational sequencing.
- Proven ability to manage and work effectively in a collaborative environment.
- Experience and familiarity with international policy and the global marketplace as it relates to aging; fluency with issues of aging (retirement policies, pensions, health care) desired.
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic planning skills and strong ability to communicate those plans and vision. Experience developing and implementing strategic programs is critical.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex issues, to prepare concise quantitative and qualitative summaries, and to provide sound recommendations to subordinates on high visibility, key issues.
- Action and results oriented, decisive, adaptable quick study, with proven ability to accurately analyze situations and act to provide guidance, strategic thinking and leadership.
- Proven leadership skills and a management style that is effective with leading and developing highly skilled team members and supporting processes for accountability
- Self-awareness, emotional maturity, and a demonstrated ability to connect authentically with others.
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills with the ability to convey the most important points simply and visually, and to effectively communicate the value of their work to the larger organization; familiarity with emerging tools for data visualization preferred.
- Ability to adapt to AARP's organizational culture.
- Experience developing and implementing systems and processes for ROI management – from KPIs and metrics development through reporting.
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding morale and team building skills.
- Ability to maintain a strategic view and enable others to share it.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org