The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance - International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
On 10 October 2017, as a result of a long-standing partnership with International IDEA, the Government of Mexico signed a host-country agreement to establish a sub-regional office of International IDEA in Mexico City. Mexico joined International IDEA in 2003 as a Member State and chaired the organization in 2010.The host-country agreement was signed as a result of this long-standing partnership between Mexico and International IDEA.
The sub-regional office in Mexico will start operations in 2018 and work on promoting, consolidating and advancing sustainable democracy and democratic electoral processes in Mexico and the Central America and the Caribbean region. Through this sub-regional office , International IDEA will support national capacities by providing training and assistance to institutions involved in the democratic process. It will also provide a platform for knowledge exchange and discussion about key issues in strengthening democracy, such as electoral integrity and electoral justice. The opening of the office in Mexico City will facilitate increased collaboration with Mexico ahead of the key upcoming elections in 2018.
The Head of Programme will design and manage International IDEA’s country and sub-regional strategy in Mexico and the Central American region, promoting dialogue and consensus building at the highest levels, as well as providing expert advice to political actors. The Head of Programme also effectively manages a team of staff and consultants and actively develops fundraising initiatives in the region.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the implementation of International IDEA’s electoral support in Mexico through direct engagement with the Electoral Tribunal of the Judicial Branch of the Mexican Federation (TEPJF) and the National Electoral Institute of Mexico (INE);
- Promotes dialogue and consensus building at the highest levels and provides and facilitates expert advice to political actors in Mexico and the Central American Region;
- Manages and directs the team of staff and consultants to ensure full delivery of agreed programme outputs, while fostering a spirit of collaboration, and team cohesion;
- Provides timely and insightful reports on political developments in Mexico and the Central American Region, and participates in dialogue processes and advocacy in the field of democracy, governance and social development;
- Ensures oversight of project funds in accordance with donor and International IDEA regulations, and monitors and evaluates the project activities in accordance with Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) plan;
- Liaises and works programmatically with relevant local, national and intergovernmental bodies;
- Maintains and develops relevant professional contacts and networks of cooperation with those active in relevant fields, including practitioners, policy makers, academics and the international community, and notably with International IDEA member states;
- Plans, facilitates, participates in and makes presentations at coordination meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Represents International IDEA externally as appropriate, including development and maintenance of positive and effective relations with the Government of Mexico, International IDEA Member States, EU, other donors, UN and other relevant interlocutors;
- Leads programme design and manages fundraising initiatives for projects in line with International IDEA policies and procedures;
- Ensures communication and cooperation with International IDEA’s global and crosscutting programmes.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through post-graduate academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in the field;
- Leads assigned projects with authority throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability;
- Leads meetings and discussions, oversees publications and input from external providers;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Leads a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
Director Latin America and the Caribbean Region
- Has excellent knowledge and extensive work experience in his/her own discipline (preferably related to elections, political participation and representation or constitution building) combined with excellent understanding of complexities of democratic transitions in order to approach programmatic activities in a holistic manner in the context of Latin America;
- Has demonstrated capacity in policy analysis and strategic development;
- Has operational Knowledge, skills and experience;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in Mexico and/or in Latin America;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Understands and manages the budget and planning of his/her project(s).
- Leads a multi-talented team, sets team priorities and manages resources in projects of considerable complexity;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Will also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles;
- Languages: Fluent in English and Spanish both written and oral required; other language skills are an asset.
Education and Experience
- Post-graduate qualifications in social science, political science, international law, international development, peace and development studies or related subjects;
- 8-10 years of relevant experience within electoral processes, including substantial experience working in field positions;
- At least 5 years of experience in management positions, including senior level positions;
- Experience working in the field of democracy and governance in Latin America.
Terms of Contract
- Twelve (12) month fixed term appointment;
- Salary € 6546 NET per month;
- Start date 01 April 2018.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org