The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking highly-qualified candidates for the position of Associate in the New York office to provide administrative assistance to the New York Committee Team. The New York Committee Team serves as an important base for HRW’s development, fundraising, and outreach activities in the tri-state area. This position is part-time at 24 hours per week (60% schedule) and requires availability to work occasional night events. The Associate is based in New York and reports to the New York Committee Associate Director. The anticipated start date for the position is April 2018.
- Provide administrative support including scheduling, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, responding to inquiries, recording and processing divisional finances, and making travel arrangements;
- Assist in the follow-up of major organizational fundraising, cultivation, and outreach events, including, but not limited to, the New York Annual Dinner and New York Film Festival;
- Organize logistical aspects of events by maintaining key spreadsheets, documenting gifts received, preparing solicitation and acknowledgement materials, organizing and shipping event materials, collating follow-up fundraising reports, etc.;
- Maintain the Raiser’s Edge database by updating donor and financial information and overseeing data entry for special events and cultivation initiatives;
- Support the daily activities for HRW’s New York Committee, donors, and prospects including conducting research on individual and foundation prospects using various online tools to prepare donor solicitation strategies, maintaining extensive files, contact lists and databases, scheduling and preparing briefs and materials for meetings, and drafting donor communications;
- Coordinate the development of content for newsletters, social media, mailings, programs, and presentations;
- Assist with the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of interns; and
- Perform other responsibilities as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences, including donors are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are required.
- Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision, and work independently as well as function as a member of a team are required.
- Strong analytical skills and the natural curiosity and creativity needed to conduct online research are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
- Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications is required; experience with Raiser’s Edge or other donor databases is highly desirable.
- Experience with event planning, community engagement, and/or philanthropy is preferred.
- Strong interest in human rights is desirable.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $27,090, which has been prorated for a 60% schedule. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twelve (12) days of vacation per year.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org