Org. Setting and Reporting
The mandate of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) is to promote inclusive economic, social and environmental development and support regional cooperation and integration in the Asian and Pacific region. ESCAP’s role as a regional development arm of the United Nations Secretariat is to support its membership, through its analytical, normative and technical cooperation, to respond to the development priorities and changing needs of the Asian and Pacific region.
The Centre for Sustainable Agricultural Mechanization (CSAM) is a Regional Institution under the Environment and Development Division of ESCAP. CSAM supports member States efforts towards sustainable agricultural mechanization for the attainment of the internationally agreed Sustainable Development Goals in Asia and the Pacific. CSAM's work promotes policy dialogue, information exchange, setting of testing standards and protocols, facilitation of regional agro-business and trade, cooperation among all pertinent stakeholders, and related capacity building in the region.
This position is located in CSAM. The incumbent of the post reports directly to the Head of the Regional Institute.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Regional Institute, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning, facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources, and coordinates development of publications related to sustainable agriculture/mechanization.
• Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in or leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Facilitates the communication and engagement efforts of the Centre, including updating of policy briefs, newsletters, online and social media content etc.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to socio-economic development and sustainable agriculture in particular. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in agricultural machinery, agricultural sciences, environmental science, engineering or related fields. A relevant first-level university degree in the above fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, related to sustainable agricultural/mechanization, agricultural sciences/engineering, environment sciences/development, south-south cooperation, and related areas, of which at least two years should be at the international level. Experience in publication and communication is highly desirable. Experience in managing/backstopping projects with international organizations is highly desirable. Experience in developing global partnerships with donors and/or Governments is an asset. Experience in the UN Common System or international organizations is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Qualified applicants may be evaluated through a competency-based interview and/or other assessment methods.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org