Founded in 1979 and headquartered in Washington DC, National Peace Corps Association (www.peacecorpsconnect.org) is the nation’s leading 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization mobilizing a united and vibrant Peace Corps community to create social change. To achieve this vision, NPCA champions lifelong commitment to Peace Corps ideals.
Government Relations Officer
NPCA seeks a skilled, energetic individual to serve with our advocacy team as a Government Relations Officer. This individual will report to NPCA’s Advocacy Director and work with NPCA leadership and staff to build and carry out strategies to advance key public policy initiatives, including Peace Corps/international assistance appropriations, addressing health care challenges facing the Peace Corps community and other policies designed to recognize, honor and support the Peace Corps and its alumni.
● Lead development, implementation and evaluation of NPCA’s advocacy strategy for Peace Corps appropriations.
● Serve as NPCA’s primary liaison with Capitol Hill, Peace Corps’ Office of Congressional Relations, U.S. Global Leadership Coalition, Service Year Alliance and other partners.
● Lead annual Capitol Hill lobby fly-ins and lead or assist with other Capitol Hill events, including NPCA’s annual Capitol Hill Day of Action in early March, and mobilizations associated with five-year anniversary celebrations (September 2021).
● Work with communications team to prepare advocacy-related communications strategy and content, using both traditional and social media.
● Assist NPCA advocacy efforts to address health, safety and security legislation for currently-serving and returned Peace Corps Volunteers.
● Assist NPCA advocacy efforts with other Peace Corps policy and legislative matters.
● Assist with other NPCA advocacy-related programs, including support of affiliate group advocacy capacity-building initiatives.
● Assist NPCA advocacy director to develop advocacy volunteer leadership.
● Recruit and manage NPCA advocacy interns and fellows.
● Assist with NPCA advocacy-related fundraising and grant writing.
● Additional tasks as required to support NPCA’s mission.
● Bachelor's degree in political science, public policy, or a related degree.
● Experience lobbying and/or conducting public policy advocacy, ideally in the international affairs arena, highly preferred.
● Experience working on Capitol Hill. Two years experience highly preferred.
● Experience with community organizing and empowering volunteers highly desirable.
● Familiarity with congressional budget appropriations and legislative processes.
● Ability to multi-task and work with a small team dedicated to NPCA’s vision and mission.
● Knowledge of Google Drive applications and advocacy/lobbying platforms.
● Demonstrated ability to function as an enthusiastic member of a team and as a trustworthy individual representing constituent interests.
● Non-partisan approach to NPCA advocacy initiatives.
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build collegial relationships.
● Strong written and verbal communications skills.
● Returned Peace Corps Volunteer highly preferred.
Compensation commensurate with experience. NPCA provides a competitive benefits package.
Please send your cover letter and resume with “Government Relations Officer” in the subject line. This position is open until filled. No phone calls please.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org