Counterpart International is currently seeking an intern to support the internet governance/internet freedom (IGIF) program at Counterpart International. This is a rewarding experience for a student, academic Fellow, or recent graduate to learn about international development, internet governance, human rights, democracy advancement and best practices. Qualified candidates will be able to work five (5) days a week but only for a maximum of 29 hours per week. This position will report to Sr. Officer IGIF, Programs.
The intern’s primary responsibilities will be to:
- Conduct research and analysis on public policy issues associated with internet governance and fundamental rights online in targeted countries including Sri Lanka, Ukraine, Venezuela, and Zimbabwe, e.g. freedom of expression, censorship, and privacy, among others.
- Provide background briefing memos as required on legislative and regulatory action concerning internet governance and threats to fundamental rights in Sri Lanka, Ukraine, Venezuela, and Zimbabwe.
- Attend relevant public policy briefings around the Washington, DC area and provide analytical synpopses as needed.
- Draft blog commentary on Counterpart’s website concerning threats to fundamental rights online in targeted countries.
Qualified candidates for this internship must have the following qualifications:
- Recent graduate or currently pursuing a degree or Fellowship in international relations, development, human rights, internet governance, democracy assistance or related field;
- Interest in a career in international development, human rights, internet governance or a regional specific focus
- Strong writing and research skills;
- An interest in international development, international relations, or human rights;
- Positive “can do” attitude;
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and data entry into MIS systems;
- Ability to research information using reference materials such as books, manuals and the internet; analyze and synthesize information.
- Interest in Sri Lanka, Ukraine, Venezuela or Zimbabwe a plus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org