Position: Program Assistant, Africa
Reports To: Program Officer, Africa
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include Enterprise Ecosystems, Democratic Governance, Business Advocacy, Anti-Corruption & Ethics and Trade.
The Program Assistant for Africa is responsible for providing programmatic and administrative support for CIPE’s projects in sub-Saharan Africa. The position reports to the Program Officer for Africa.
- Work with the Program Officer and other CIPE Africa staff to coordinate project management deliverables and activities for the Africa portfolio.
- Process and track payment requests, field office liquidations, travel expense reports, documents for signature, narrative and financial reports, etc.
- Prepare routine correspondence and mailings such as grant agreements, consultant contracts, reporting requirements for grantees, grant and contract modifications, etc.
- Communicate with grantees and prospective partners in the Africa region on administrative and due diligence issues.
- Assist in writing, reviewing, editing and preparing periodic reports, project proposals, articles, and other documents for submission to donor agencies and for promotional use by CIPE.
- Handle international travel arrangements, events, and local meeting logistics.
- Create and maintain program, financial, correspondence and contract files, both in paper form and electronically.
- Adhere to appropriate CIPE and donor policies and procedures.
- Support Program Officers as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Demonstrated interest in international affairs, with an emphasis on political and economic issues in Africa. Field experience in Africa or working in a multicultural environment is a plus.
- 1-2 years of administrative office experience.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Written and spoken fluency in Portuguese or Arabic is a plus.
- Strong writing abilities and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously with limited supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Good financial acumen and ability to assist with project budgets
- Proficiency in MS-Office, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook.
Please send cover letter, resume, and two writing samples (five page limit) to [email protected] with “AFRICAPA-[YOUR LASTNAME]” in the subject line. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.