Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF), Department of Management. The incumbent reports to the Executive Head of UNDEF.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Executive Head, UNDEF, the incumbent's responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Developing, managing and coordinating projects:
- Assesses project proposals to determine consistency with overall UNDEF objectives; Monitors, appraises on the implementation of funded project through review of project management plans, progress reports and correspondence; Conducts closing of projects at the end of the cycle; Identifies lessons learned and successful, replicable or scalable outcomes; draws attention of the responsible offices where implementation has been deficient, seeking remedial action where necessary; Undertakes field missions to selected projects to monitor implementation and advise on improvements. Capacity building of UNDEF grantees in project design, negotiation of project documents and budget preparation. Knowledge management: Translates lessons learned from evaluation into knowledge and captures best practices of current projects to support future negotiation rounds.
- Managing and coordinating the UNDEF online project management platform (Online project proposal system and cloud database):
- Provides strategic leadership and oversees continuous database design, operation, development, improvement, troubleshooting, monitoring and maintenance which includes configurating engineering software; instructs and trains UNDEF staff and consultants in use of the database; works to develop and improve software for calls for project proposals; develops and updates systems for tracking of project implementation; meets regularly with IT consultants contracted by UNDEF and instructs them on actions required; evaluates performance of IT consultants.
- Planning of programmatic areas:
- Assists in developing procedures and guidelines for programme development and monitoring and evaluation; Works in consultation with civil society organizations, research institutions or non-governmental organizations, governments, UN Offices and Departments, Funds, Programmes and specialized agencies, in the identification of programme objectives and priorities; Assists in developing funding guidelines, project screening criteria and modalities to be used for project solicitation and review; Provides advice on the formulation, preparation and submission to UNDEF of project concepts and project proposals, project documents and budgets; Ensures a distribution of funds to the various priority areas set out by the UNDEF Advisory Board; Provides substantial inputs to UNDEF senior management on the disposition of project proposals, including results to be achieved, timetables, funding levels and reporting and evaluations.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of international issues relating to development and links to good governance, human rights and participatory models. Knowledge of the programme management practices and procedures of the United Nations or those of a similar large international organization. Ability to analyze and articulate programme management issues that require coordinated and integrated responses. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently;
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, management, economics, international relations, law, public administration, environmental studies or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required. Experience in developing, implementing and monitoring projects in the fields of good governance or human rights, or in a related field, at national and international levels is required. Experience in international development dealing with multi-donor trust fund project/programme design and management is required. Experience in project knowledge-management and managing complex project databases is required. Experience in democracy support, grant-making and project evaluation is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org