The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: UKREP (UK Representation to the EU)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The UK Representation to the European Union (UKREP) in Brussels is part of a world-wide network of 230 Diplomatic Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for three (3) full-time vacancies have arisen for A2L Policy and Administration Support Officers in the United Kingdom Representation to the European Union.
- The Regional, Agricultural and Fisheries Team;
- The Foreign Policy and Development Team;
- The Corporate Hub.
This is an exciting time to be working in the UK’s Representation to the EU, as the UK negotiates its future relationship with the European Union. These are important roles that will increase the efficiency and effectiveness of friendly and dynamic teams by providing high quality administrative and policy support. These roles would suit a highly motivated individual who enjoys being busy, has excellent organisation skills, and who is flexible and willing to take on new opportunities as they arise. The role would be well suited to an individual with an interest in UK and EU politics and international relations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing support for high level visits by Ministers and senior officials coming to Brussels to engage with EU counterparts; co-ordinating team-wide travel; providing secretarial support at Councils (if appropriate) for visiting Ministers;
- Managing the team’s electronic and paper filing systems, document retrieval and distribution; preparing briefing packs; arranging set up for external meetings; ordering office supplies; maintaining an orderly office environment;
- Diary management (arranging external and internal meetings); preparation of papers for meetings; processing expense claims; formatting letters;
- Supporting induction of new staff, and assisting with recruitment and HR processes. Arranging programmes and meetings for a steady flow of official visitors and monitoring the team budgets and supporting the team with expense administration;
- Occasionally representing the UK at external policy meetings and taking notes of meetings with stakeholders either when accompanying team members or deputising for them at events hosted by stakeholders in Brussels.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Knowledge of the EU institutions;
- Fluent command of English (oral and written);
- Proven skills in delivering results under pressure, excellent organisational ability and a proactive results-driven approach to problem solving;
- An ability to manage and prioritise own workload and deliver results;
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills, with proven ability to plan and prioritise tasks;
- Strong track record in delivering customer service;
- High-quality communications and drafting skills;
- Strong communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, customer handling and communication skills;
- Strong planning and self-management skills;
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems and pay close attention to detail;
- A self-starter, able to work autonomously;
- Good IT skills with sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Excel).
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Interest in UK and EU politics and policy;
- University Degree;
- Understanding of the European Union and of the UK Government;
- Previous successful team coordination experience;
- Previous experience of budget administration;
- French language ability;
- Ability to think strategically to spot opportunities;
- Interest and/or experience in International Development for the Foreign Policy and Development role.
Required competencies: Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline: 1 July 2018
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Full-time, Permanent
Working hours per week: 36.25
Region: Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Location (City): UK Permanent Representation to the European Union, Brussels
Type of Post: British Embassy
Number of vacancies: 3
Starting monthly salary (EUR): 3,175.72
Start Date: 1 August 2018
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org