PBS’ general audience programming aspires to engage consumers interested in history, science, drama, the arts, and news and public affairs. Additionally, PBS’ documentaries illuminate new worlds and its non-commercialized news programs provide all Americans with multiple perspectives on global events and cultures.
The SVP, Chief Programming Executive, General Audience will lead the acquisition and development of world-class programming for PBS and its member stations. In keeping with the mission of PBS, s/he will ensure this content educates, inspires, entertains, and expresses a diversity of perspectives. S/he will evolve the organization’s content strategy to attract new audiences, develop multi-platform content, and drive membership growth. Reporting directly to the CEO, s/he will lead a team of 70+, and be a responsive partner to member stations and producers. This role will be based at PBS headquarters in Arlington, Virginia.
General Management & Leadership
- Lead, manage, and motivate a 70+ person organization comprised of creative executives as well as an operational and business support team.
- Develop, manage and forecast a budget.
- Maintain and grow key relationships with local member stations and external production partners.
- Partner with and be responsive to diverse stakeholders who have distinct interests and voices that must be acknowledged and addressed.
Programming Vision & Strategy
- Create and articulate an inspiring vision for PBS programming, and, as part of the senior management team, help map the future of the enterprise as a whole.
- Define and execute a cross-platform programming strategy that puts audiences first.
- Manage existing production relationships with member stations and external production partners while identifying new programming sources.
- Ensure critical genres, including history, science, drama, the arts, news and public affairs, remain a core part of PBS programming.
- Identify and acquire fundraising programs that will boost viewership and membership.
- Collaborate with PBS Digital, PBS KIDS & Education, member stations, and external partners to develop multi-platform content.
- Partner with the PBS Foundation to help secure funding for both individual projects and a programming endowment.
OTHER SKILLS/ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Attracts and recruits top talent, motivates the team, delegates effectively, celebrates diversity within the team, and manages performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
- Perseveres in the face of challenges and exhibits a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
- Leads by example and drives the organization's performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
- Inspires others to support the PBS mission and public media overall.
- Uses communication, diplomacy, and team-building capabilities to collaborate with member stations, cross-functional departments, and outside organizations to successfully serve audiences.
- Connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Inspires trust and followership in others through compelling influence, passion, and drive.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of individuals and the team.
- Creates a sense of purpose for the team that engages others to the greater mission of the organization as a whole.
- Recognizes and takes into account PBS’ overarching mission and commitment to public media when setting and driving strategic endeavors.
- Takes an entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push boundaries within the industry at large.
- Seeks and analyzes data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization's overall strategy.
- Effectively balances the desire/need for broad change with the understanding of how much change the organization can realistically handle in order to create feasible and effective goals and implementation plans.
Driving Change & Results
- Leads with a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; acts in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
- Sets clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- Adapts nimbly to ambiguity and uncertainty and leads others through complex situations.
- Innovates and proactively identifies new business opportunities and fosters new ideas and solutions to advance the company’s reach and influence.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications, or a related field; or a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
- Graduate degree desirable.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org