Reporting to the Policy Specialist on Violence against Women Data, the Programme Specialist is responsible for providing technical, programmatic and operational inputs in the implementation of the Global Joint Programme on Violence against Women Data, including the monitoring of results, annual planning and reporting, and building partnerships with global stakeholders and development partners.
S/he works in close collaboration with the EVAW Section and Policy Division teams, UN Women staff in HQ and in field offices, multi-and bi-lateral donors, academia, government representatives and civil society as relevant, ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under her/his portfolio. The Programme Specialist will also contribute to the broader work of the Ending Violence against Women Section, particularly in the area of violence against women data and research.
Duties and Responsibilities
Design and develop programme strategies in the area of violence against women data and research:
- Draft programme proposals and initiatives, as needed;
- Draft inputs to country documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to violence against women data and research.
Support the implementation and management of the Global Joint Programme on Violence against Women Data:
- Coordinate the finalization of the annual workplans and budgets;
- Contribute to the technical implementation of the programme; ensure synergies with other teams;
- Coordinate the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports, as needed;
- Organize programme Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings, as needed;
- Contribute to resource mobilization initiatives and documentation in the area of violence against women data and research, as relevant.
Manage the monitoring and reporting of the programme:
- Manage the monitoring of the programme implementation and finances using results-based management tools;
- Write quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output and outcomes.
Manage technical assistance and capacity development to programme partners:
- Build and manage relationships with global/regional/national partners to support implementation and expansion of the Global Joint Programme on Violence against Women Data;
- Identify capacity building needs of partners and coordinate the provision of technical assistance, training and capacity development initiatives to partners;
- Organize expert meetings, advocacy events, panels and other interactive events on violence against women data and research.
Contribute to inter-agency coordination on violence against women data and research to achieve coherence and alignment of the programme with other partners:
- Contribute to provision of technical support on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees, as needed;
- Contribute to coordinating with other UN agencies and relevant partners to ensure the programme’s capacity development component is harmonized and aligned with other global, regional and in-country efforts.
Manage advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to violence against women data and research broadly and the Global Joint Programme in particular;
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to violence against women data and research as necessary;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning;
- Develop knowledge management strategies and products on violence against women data, as needed.
Provide technical contributions to the data and research activities of the EVAW Section:
- Technically contribute to data and research activities for all products of the EVAW Section, including technical assistance to UN Women field offices.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality implementation of the Global Joint Programme on Violence against Women Data activities in line with budget and workplans, and in line with all UN Women operational rules and regulations;
- Quality and timely reporting of the Global Joint Programme;
- Regular and timely monitoring of activities;
- Timely and quality technical advice to UN Women field offices;
- Strong partnerships developed/strengthened which lead to results;
- Quality and timeliness of knowledge products, briefs, reports, proposals and other documents.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, public health, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, management and monitoring of development projects, particularly in the area of gender and development and/or ending violence against women;
- Technical experience in the area of violence against women data and research;
- Experience in conducting primary research (quantitative methods, qualitative methods) on violence against women, gender equality or related fields, is an asset;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org