The Project Director will oversee all aspects of the Project Management Unit – PMA 2.0 focusing on the following objectives:
- Build financial and project management capacity of local institutions to promote sustainability;
- Provide overall financial and project management support to the PMA 2.0 project;
- Oversee development and implementation of communications and marketing plan to improve buy-in and long term sustainability of PMA 2.0 product.
Implementation will include: issuing and managing sub-awards (contracts, payments, monitoring compliance, reviewing deliverables, on-site monitoring, etc.), building project and financial management capacity of implementing partners so they can “graduate” from capacity building support, monitoring and reporting on in-country PMA 2.0 implementation costs, providing on the ground logistical and project management support to implementing partners as needed, supporting expansion to new countries, tracking overall global work-plan and schedule, developing and implementing a sustainability plan, and supporting PMA’s and business development efforts.
The technical portion of PMA 2.0 will be led by the Bill & Melinda Gates Institute at the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, and this position will work in close collaboration with that team, and be co-located with them.
LEADS & PROPOSALS:
- Lead technical and program design;
- Provide budget inputs;
- Direct communication with donor;
- Support development of proposals to additional donors who want to “buy in” to PMA 2.0.
- Lead project management start-up workshop for Core PMA 2.0 team and in-country teams;
- Develop and oversee implementation of start-up work plan and milestones;
- Oversee development of global PMA 2.0 Project Charter, and country level Project Charters;
- Mentor program staff in start-up processes;
- Conduct start-up after action reviews.
IMPLEMENTATION & CONTROL:
- Track and manage project management standards for project;
- Review/revise workplans and budgets;
- Review and escalate quality concerns (technical, project management, financial management, compliance);
- Direct project communication needs;
- Ensure long term sustainability plan developed and implemented;
- Ensure knowledge management for project.
- Conduct close out of projects as needed, and mentor program staff and track close-outs;
- Conduct After Action Reviews for project.
CROSS-CUTTING INTERNAL GPO:
- Hiring manager as needed for new staff in headquarters;
- Supervise programs staff;
- Orientation for new Jhpiego program staff on the project;
- Coordinate general funds requests for project;
- Coordinate completion of monthly leadership team reports;
- Develop systems to improve program management for project;
- Participate in meetings with other departments to troubleshoot problems;
- Track and manage project LOE needs;
- Coordinate/plan project meetings;
- Trainer on project management;
- Mentor Program Officers on [email protected] tools.
- Advanced degree, preferably in public health or related field;
- Certified in [email protected] (Jhpiego’s internal project management curricula) or PMD Pro (or will be within 60 days of hire);
- 10 years’ increasingly responsible experience at PO level;
- Proven experience successfully managing large complicated public health projects (e.g., multiple partners, difficult donor relations, low in-country capacity) by at least 4 different types of donors, including one USG donor in multiple countries with experience;
- Proven experience successfully supporting new program development;
- Served as program lead on at least 5 proposals – including budget inputs;
- Successfully served as proposal writer on 4 proposals >$10M (e.g., USAID bi-laterals).
- Experience working at least 2 years overseas with Jhpiego or another NGO;
- Experience supervising and mentoring staff;
- Experience training;
- Proven experience successfully dealing with challenging situations (HR, fraud, donor, etc.);
- Experience representing Jhpiego at high level meetings;
- Strong understanding of at least 5 technical areas Jhpiego works in;
- Deep understanding of financial management principles;
- Knowledge USG rules and regulations;
- Experience with Office 365;
- Understanding of Jhpiego’s strategy, work, processes;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Team building skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with diverse groups;
- Strong communication and presentation skills: developing communication products (success stories, FB posts, briefs, PowerPoint presentations);
- Experience supervising and mentoring staff;
- Proven leadership skills;
- A commitment to customer service and to supporting a positive team culture;
- Travel: Ability to travel 30%;
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Contractual financial management experience;
- Advanced Excel skills;
- Fluenct French language skills.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org