The International Center for Journalists, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C., is seeking a full-time Program Assistant to work on its flagship program, the ICFJ Knight Fellowships. The Program Assistant will report to the Knight Fellowships Deputy Director and play an important role in supporting ICFJ’s Knight Fellows as they lead projects designed to instill a culture of news innovation and experimentation in Eastern Europe, Latin America, South Asia, MENA and sub-Saharan Africa. This position is a great opportunity for someone who is highly organized with strong administrative and logistical skills, has great attention to detail, understands the need for quality journalism and is hungry to advance his or her foundational skills in key aspects of program management.
● Assisting with program finances: processing expense reports; generating contracts and payment requests for fellows, consultants and sub-grantees;
● Communicating and liaising with vendors, clients, sub-grantees and consultants;
● Providing logistical support to ICFJ Knight Fellows, trainers and staff including international and domestic travel and accommodations;
● Coordinating the application process for Knight Fellows and orientation programs for new Knight Fellows;
● Maintaining and updating program databases;
● Coordinating the nomination and review processes for ICFJ’s Knight International Journalism Awards;
● Performing administrative tasks as needed.
● Professional Knowledge: Understanding of nonprofit administration, journalism, basic accounting and maintenance of financial records and databases, and coordinating logistics;
● Quality Orientation: Ability to perform with high attention to detail, ensuring accuracy and thoroughness when accomplishing tasks;
● Self-Management: Ability to prioritize and adjust to changes with exceptional organizational skills to accomplish work goals and meet deadlines; and work under an appropriate level of supervision, both independently and as a team member in a diverse, fast-paced environment;
● Critical Thinking: Ability to think critically, anticipate issues and find solutions with minimal guidance;
● Communication: Ability to communicate ideas clearly and effectively in verbal and written form to a variety of audiences (a high level of English is essential); effectively engage with staff and a diverse range of stakeholders; and respond in a timely manner to requests;
● Digital Skills: General knowledge of computer software and accounting systems; and ability to effectively use computer software and tools to increase efficiency at work.
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution;
● Minimum of one year of experience working in a professional office environment;
● Strong, proven organizational skills;
● Attention to detail;
● Demonstrated experience related to the responsibilities and competencies listed above;
● Proficiency in MS Office (especially MS Word and MS Excel);
● Proficiency in Google Drive and other cloud-based management systems; Salesforce or other database experience is a plus;
● Proficiency in a foreign language is a plus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org