Under the supervision and guidance of the Director of the Division for Asia and the Pacific, the Section Head ensures a strategic, results-oriented programmatic response to Member States' priorities in the application of nuclear technologies to meet their development goals.
The Section Head is: (1) a manager and team leader, ensuring that programmes and projects are developed and implemented in the most efficient and effective manner in line with quality management standards and the results-based approach; (2) a substantive expert contributor, managing projects of particular complexity and/or sensitivity; and (3) an adviser to the Director and Deputy Director General on programmatic and socio-economic issues and development conditions in assigned countries.
Functions/Key Results Expected
- Lead the development of Country Programme Frameworks and programmes/projects in collaboration with Member State institutions, technical departments and development partners. Conduct substantive policy dialogue and ensure that Member State priorities and needs are met. Ensure that innovative policies and strategies, quality management standards and a results based approach are integrated in programmes/projects.
- Coordinate and guide programme/project monitoring and assessments, ensuring the integration of lessons learned into programme strategies and policies. Assess progress and report on achievement of project results, adapting and innovating monitoring and assessment tools.
- Act as TC focal point or resource person, where needed, for cross-departmental issues.
- Lead and coordinate project implementation, promoting the development of implementation capacity in Member State institutions and the introduction of innovative approaches and modalities. Ensure targeted delivery levels are met in the Section.
- Develop and participate in resource mobilization activities with Member States, bilateral donors, the private sector and other non- traditional sources of funding, as part of a coordinated departmental effort.
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships and alliances with a wide range of stakeholders in Member States and the region to promote the TC programme and to secure policy support by demonstrating key programme results and developing outreach strategies for the countries and region.
- Plan and manage the work of the Section, prepare work plans, ensure a balanced workload distribution, monitor work performance and assess staff development needs.
Competencies and Expertise
- Planning and Organizing: Sets clearly defined objectives for himself/herself and the team or Section. Identifies and organizes deployment of resources based on assessed needs, taking into account possible changing circumstances. Monitors team’s performance in meeting the assigned deadlines and milestones;
- Communication: Encourages open communication and builds consensus. Uses tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive information, and keeps staff informed of decisions and directives as appropriate;
- Achieving Results: Sets realistic targets for himself/herself and for the team; ensures availability of resources and supports staff members in achieving results. Monitors progress and performance; evaluates achievements and integrates lessons learned;
- Teamwork: Encourages teamwork, builds effective teams and resolves problems by creating a supportive and collaborative team spirit, remaining mindful of the need to collaborate with people outside the immediate area of responsibility.
- Judgement/decision making: Consults with and seeks advice at the appropriate managerial level when making complex decisions. Facilitates dialogue and development of best practice to support judgement/decision making, in full compliance with the Agency’s regulations and rules;
- Knowledge sharing and learning: Identifies and establishes systems and mechanisms to facilitate development of best practice and knowledge management. Encourages staff members to learn continuously and to share knowledge through mentoring, networking and development, and training opportunities;
- Partnership building: Identifies interests and goals common to the Agency’s partners and its stakeholders to foster partnership building. Promotes collaboration with partners, colleagues across teams and stakeholders.
- Partnership Development: Demonstrated ability to develop and promote strategic, financial and technical partnerships and alliances with key stakeholders in the public and private sector, the UN development and NGO communities;
- Programme Management: Ability to promote not only a strategic results focus in programme/project design, monitoring and implementation but also needs-based approaches to programming by leveraging the IAEA's comparative advantage;
- Strengthening Institutional: Capacity for Sustainability and Self-Reliance Ability to ensure programme focus on achievement of development goals by encouraging and promoting capacity development and sustainability of TC programme results;
- Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries: Ability to ensure visibility and impact in programme and project design and implementation.
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- Master's Degree - Advanced university degree in management, social sciences, science and technology, or international relations. Additional background in development studies an advantage;
- Proven experience in managing large teams and projects, including building, leading and developing cohesive teams, determining clear goals, roles and responsibilities, providing feedback on performance and encouraging staff development;
- At least 10 years of experience in the development and management of TC programmes, preferably in the region and in the nuclear field;
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Working knowledge of Arabic highly desirable. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) an asset.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org