IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic
Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
3. External female candidates.
The Senior Regional Migrant Assistance Specialist (SRTS-AVM) acts as a regional thematic resource person; monitors and analyzes regional thematic trends; monitors developments of projects in the thematic areas; supports regional thematic project development, and reviews and endorses projects and project reports related to his/her thematic area of expertise in the European Economic Area region.
The SRTS-MAD also supports, under the coordination of the Head of Policy and Programme Support Division (HoD), RO Brussels’ liaison work by providing expert advice to the EU Institutions and EU Member States on IOM policies and activities in his/her thematic area. S/he also supports disseminating EU related policy and programming information to IOM Headquarters and IOM Missions worldwide.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Maintain regular liaison with EU institutions and EU MSs, international, governmental and non-governmental partners, and advise the IOM Country Offices on partner and donor priorities, preferences and regional synergies in the field of Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants (AVM).
2. In close collaboration with the other Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs), identify AVM policy issues in the region and advise Country Offices on national and regional trends, policies and legislative frameworks.
3. Support the development and conceptualization of national and regional AVM policies in close collaboration with the RTSs, concerned Country Offices, relevant ROs and Headquarters (HQs).
4. Identify, promote and foster strategic, partnerships with academic institutions, think tanks and research institutions within the region.
5. Lead and maintain, under the supervision of the HoD and in collaboration with the RTSs, the establishment of system to make AVM trends and data widely available on a regular basis within and outside IOM in a reliable and comprehensive manner.
6. Ensure appropriate coordination and information sharing within the region and between the region and relevant Departments at HQ.
7. Support regional strategic planning exercises, and provide support for country level strategic planning, as required and in collaboration with the RTSs.
8. Supervise IOM responses/submissions to the EC’s centralized call for proposals and tenders and ensure that these comply with the EC administrative, legal and procedural requirements.
9. Coordinate AVM support to IOM Missions in developing and preparing project proposals in compliance with the requirements of IOM and the EU (templates, procedures etc.).
10. Provide policy advice to IOM missions in Europe and worldwide which are involved in EU-AVM funded programmes.
11. Develop regional and multi-country programmes and projects in the thematic area and identify anticipated synergies between thematic areas in close coordination with the Regional Project Development Officer (RPDO), where available.
12. Review, endorse, and track project proposals developed by COs in the region, and provide regular updates to the concerned HQ Division on projects endorsed. Ensure that all endorsed projects are:
a) consistent with the IOM Constitution, IOM Strategy and the Organization’s policies, thematic guidelines and manuals and any relevant national and/or regional strategies;
b) coherent, relevant, and feasible, and take into account good practices in the respective migration/thematic area(s);
c) developed according to IOM’s project development procedures as established in the IOM Handbook on Projects.
13. As delegated by the HoD, review and endorse narrative donor reports submitted by Country Offices, according to the procedures specified in the IOM Project Handbook.
14. Act as a thematic resource person providing capacity building, training, and general support to Country Offices (COs) in the region. Contribute to building the capacities of IOM staff in the thematic area through a combination of formal training and on-the-job mentoring.
15. Ensure the delivery of quality thematic training to governments as required by COs in the region.
16. Participate in and actively contribute to IOM’s network of RTSs globally, analyze and share best practices with relevant HQ Divisions and COs.
17. Present IOM policies and activities to EU institutions and EU Member States and other Partner Organizations and disseminating EU related policy and programming information to IOM Headquarters and IOM Missions worldwide.
18. Represent IOM in the region by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise, as required by the Head of Division.
19. Act as officer-in-charge in the absence of the HoD, as required. 20. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development, and management;
• Demonstrated high level of expertise in the thematic area relevant to project development;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation;
• Experience of regional issues a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential. • Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org