History: Touch Foundation Inc. was founded in 2004 to strengthen the health system in Tanzania. Touch has supported the education of over 4,000 healthcare workers, and have strengthened healthcare delivery through investments in infrastructure, equipment, and supplies, enabling healthcare workers to use their knowledge and skills to serve people in need. Today our programs reflect the interconnected aspects of the health system. In addition to our ongoing efforts to increase the quantity and quality of healthcare workers in Tanzania, we are developing solutions to ensure the effective deployment and retention of trained graduates throughout the country and addressing specific health priorities such as non-communicable diseases, maternal and newborn health, and emergency transport for patients in crisis. Touch Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization and has earned four-stars from Charity Navigator, its highest rating, based on its efficient use of funds, commitment to transparency and organizational accountability.
Mission: Touch Foundation’s mission is to save lives and relieve human suffering. We improve healthcare in Tanzania, addressing one of the world’s most significant humanitarian crises: the shortage of healthcare workers in sub-Saharan Africa.
We strengthen local health systems, and we encourage the adoption of our data-driven problem-solving model in the global health community.
We are seeking a Director to lead our programs and operations in the Lake Zone region of Tanzania, including overseeing our Mwanza Office and providing leadership to our team of nine professional and three support staff in Lake Zone. Under the joint supervision of Touch’s Chief Program Officer and Chief Operating Officer, the Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of implementation for Touch’s programs in the Lake Zone, including supervising staff, managing partners, coordinating and monitoring activities, building and managing budgets, reporting, and contributing to the development of future programs. The Director will also, in coordination with Touch’s Operations team in Tanzania and the US, provide oversight for all aspects Touch’s operations in the Lake Zone, including human resources, facilities, compliance, security, communications and IT. The Director will be supported by program and project managers and analysts, and will access additional support from other staff in Tanzania, Europe and the US. The Director will interface with a variety of government and non-government funders, partners and stakeholders. Responsibilities of the role may be adapted based upon the experience of the successful candidate.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Based out of Touch’s office in Mwanza, serve as overall onsite leader for all program and operations activity in the Lake Zone
- Manage implementation of multiple projects on the ground, with direct responsibility for budgeting, scheduling, staffing, partner engagement, donor relationships, and reporting
- Work with Touch’s Operations team in the US and Mwanza to promote a productive, efficient, and positive professional work environment, and to address issues of staff safety and morale, facilities, information technology, office culture, and connectivity to the local community
- Work in close collaboration with program leadership to develop and plan Touch’s interventions on the ground
- Contribute to strengthening Touch’s profile with major donors and implementing partners, including USAID, Government of Tanzania central authorities, international organizations and prospective funders
- Own and manage relationships with program partners, including sub-contractors, vendors and other local and international partners, ensuring that they deliver on agreed upon objectives within timeframe and budget
- Collaborate with program team to undertake effective monitoring and evaluation of the programs and to ensure compliance with USAID and other donor requirements
- Conduct data analyses and prepare reports on program implementation progress and impact for management, donors or other stakeholders
- Liaise with Touch’s Director for Global HR and attorneys in Tanzania to ensure Touch’s compliance with Tanzanian labor and immigration laws in regards to all staff, volunteers, consultants, and guests, and other Tanzania laws regarding corporate, communications, and other issues
- Contribute to expanding Touch’s knowledge of the Tanzanian health system and international public health issues, including relationships with main stakeholders
- Assist with preparation of funding proposals, facilitating funder visits, and other development activities as needed
- Contribute to suite of communication vehicles, including conference presentations, articles, and marketing materials
- Communicate regularly and effectively with various program partners
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the Director Lake Zone Programs and Operations may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
Knowledge, Education, Skills and Experience
- Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience in project management and team leadership
- Masters or Doctorate degree in relevant field (e.g. MPH, MBA, MPA, MD, international development) or equivalent demonstrated professional experience
- Leadership, organizational and problem-solving skills and excellent attention to detail
- Prior management and/or consulting experience in the Global South preferred
- Experience working with donor regulations, in particular with USAID funded programs
- Experience in program monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, especially in the functional use of Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Word
- Solid relationship-building skills and cross-cultural sensitivity: ability to interface with external constituents from a variety of backgrounds
- Good judgment and discretion to represent the Touch Foundation in a highly professional manner, as well as respect for local culture.
Please submit a Cover Letter and Resume outlining your interest in the position to [email protected]
Touch Foundation Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer.