Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Operations, the Director for Global Security is responsible for assessing, strengthening and implementing IREX’s safety and security program, and developing effective strategies to mitigate risk, maintain continuity of operations and provide for the safety and security of IREX staff and assets in both the DC headquarters office as well as IREX field offices in 23 countries primarily in Africa, Central America, Middle East and Eastern Europe.
The Director for Global Security will also serve as the subject matter expert on all safety and security related issues and establish policies and standards related to the safety and security of IREX staff, offices, assets and program activities globally. The Director for Global Security will ensure that procedures and processes are in place that are specifically applicable to the unique security challenges faced in IREX programs around the world and provide direction and technical support in developing and maintaining context-specific security plans. This position will require international travel.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Management of IREX Security Program, Policies and Systems
- Manages and oversees the IREX Global Security Unit and the IREX Security Program its entirety including Travel Safety and Security, Field Office Security and DC Office Security;
- Oversees the regular review and assessment of IREX security policies to ensure policies are appropriate for IREX’s operating environments, based on industry best practice, and enforced throughout IREX;
- Manages, coordinates and oversees IREX’s Crisis Management Plan (CMP) and the institution and maintenance of individual field office crisis management plans;
- Globally grounded in the continents where IREX operates, with assets on hand or in adjacent locales to be mobilized if necessary within a predetermined specified response time at the discretion of designated leadership involved at the appropriate level of command in order of precedence;
- Promotes the importance of IREX’s Security Program through the design and initiation of regular communication campaigns and promotes, tracks and enforces compliance by staff at all levels of the organization;
- Manages the design, customization and implementation of all safety and security trainings (both in HQ and in the field) based on IREX policies, IREX work culture and the diversity of IREX staff and programs;
- Conducts security assessments for the DC Office, prospective field office locations and existing field offices and provides recommendations for improvement as necessary;
- Conducts and oversees the Security Program learning management to ensure that all IREX staff are appropriately trained from hire and throughout their career with IREX on security requirements to ensure an organization wide culture of security awareness and readiness. This may include the provision of direct employee training as well as the identification and hire of trainers and the institution of ongoing web-based training through existing and/or new training collateral;
- Designs and follows a systematic plan for monitoring developments in countries where IREX operates and proactively provides guidance and resources as appropriate;
- Provides direct support to manage security incidents when they occur and plays an active role in the Crisis Management Team providing CMP training and other capacity-building to members of the team;
- Manages relationship between IREX and its emergency services and evacuation provider and ensures IREX is appropriately leveraging the service, programs and collateral provided;
- Manages the IREX Global Security budget and ensures expenditures are within reasonable parameters;
- Supports IREX budget planning for security requirements for New Business Development proposals as needed; and supports IREX programs in making budget decisions relevant to security and security planning;
- Works closely with New Business Development Unit and program teams to provide security analysis and recommendations for new projects and prospective field office establishment, develops or assists in the development of security plans as required by the donor, and assists NBDU on incorporating security-related costs into proposals.
Risk Management Administration and Coordination
- Monitors and understands global security threats with the potential to affect IREX staff and operations, including levels of acceptance for civil society and INGOs in countries in which IREX operates;
- Works collaboratively with Finance and Operations team-mates to manage and assess, and as necessary and appropriate, adjust, IREX business insurance policies to ensure appropriate coverage is procured based on levels of risk exposure from a security standpoint, for field-based activities and international travel;
- Works closely with program staff to assess the security-related implications of projects and activities, and advises on mitigation methods for potential risks;
- Liaises with other NGO security professionals and proactively seek out pertinent information to support IREX’s security approach;
- International travel required (estimated 20%);
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 8+ years of progressive job experience in the security or related business sector;
- Master’s Degree preferred;
- Demonstrated and significant and progressive experience in security management for government and/or international non-governmental organizations operating in high-risk environments required;
- Demonstrated understanding of the work and mission of IREX and/or other international development organizations;
- Demonstrated experience managing security incidents in operating environments like IREX field offices and programs required;
- Demonstrated experience in developing new or improving existing security programs required;
- Demonstrated professionalism and ability to maintain organizational confidentiality required;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and explain security and risk management matters and implications to audiences with varying levels of understanding and experience in a manner that is understandable and accessible;
- Excellent interpersonal, project and time management, customer service, organizational, and communication skills, both oral and written;
- The ability to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy and multi-task in a fast- paced environment;
- Must be a self-starter who is detail oriented and possesses good;
- Must be a team player and quick.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org