Hala Systems Inc.
Hala is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world’s toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
We are a team of 28 working together around the world to solve difficult problems. Founded by a rocket scientist, an ex-diplomat, and an expert in using technology for good, we hail from leading educational, research, and business institutions (including Stanford, MIT, Wharton, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LBS, MIT-Lincoln Laboratory, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, Deloitte, Booz, and the World Bank) and are united by a mission to create a sustainable business that provides massive social impact.
We are seeking a Finance & Grants Manager to provide technical and administrative leadership in the areas of financial management and grants management for Hala’s grant contracts and company finances. The role will supervise a Bookkeeper, work closely with the Procurement Officer, and report to the Associate Director of Grants Admin, & Compliance, and the Associate Director of Corporate Finance, Strategy, & Operations. The Finance & Grants Manager will manage financial aspects of specific grants, including budgeting, payments and reconciliation, and be responsible for the business’s financial functions, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial controls, and internal financial reporting.
Hala is a distributed company with team members spanning the globe. The Finance & Grants Manager role is a full-time position involving some limited travel, though remote work is an option as well. This is a contract-to-hire position. The start date is ASAP, in Western Europe.
- Hold responsibility for monitoring monthly costs using a budget monitor and grants database, tracking contract expenditures against budget and total obligated funds; includes performing invoice review and corrections to ensure accuracy and compliance with donor requirements.
- On a monthly basis, prepare internal Budget versus Actual reports, including brief commentary on matters identified.
- Manage re-forecasting of grant-specific expenses using level of effort (LOE) and recruitment updates, as well as subcontractor-related project needs and statements of work; ensure the accuracy of re-forecasts for the Hala company budget and contract-specific budgets.
- Review and determine causes for variances to the budget and prepare required notices to be sent to donors regarding status of funds.
- Coordinate and support budget realignments and regular budget reviews, when relevant.
- Liaise with Hala’s operations and technology teams to understand project needs. Support staff capacity building on utilization of a budget monitor tool and financial management best practices.
- Support internal audits and reviews, as required.
- Contribute to weekly, monthly, or project-specific reporting for different grants, as defined by contract documents and as needed by the Associate Director, Grants Admin & Compliance.
Financial Accounting & Management
- Manage timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, tax obligations, payroll, inventory, receivables, and payables.
- Implement ongoing finance and accounting processes, including monthly financial close, equipment purchases and fixed assets inventory, accounts payable, reconciliations, and updates to the chart of accounts. Implement end-of-year accounting process, both for the business and for grant contracts.
- Review payment vouchers and month-end sub journals to ensure clarity of descriptions, exchange rate and correct coding of expenses.
- Prepare Journal Entries for grant allocations on a monthly basis. Make journal entries in QuickBooks (or other preferred accounting software) in an oversight capacity, as needed.
- Monitor advance accounts and accrual and suspense accounts, ensuring they are cleaned on a regular basis.
- Generate grant cash flow plans in coordination with the Assoc. Director of Grants Admin, & Compliance and the Associate Director of Corporate Finance/Strategy/Ops to ensure that sufficient cash is available for project implementation.
- Ensure that grant and company-specific audit queries are responded to in a timely manner and that audit recommendations arising from such audits are promptly implemented.
- Ensure compliance with Hala System’s procurement policies and procedures for all goods and services, as they pertain to financial management and financial operations.
- Plan and implement periodic visits to the field operational areas to review grant implementation and reporting processes and to gain assurance that all donor requirements are being complied with as appropriate.
General Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- Creative and intelligent problem solver.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Occasional travel to project locations.
- Fluency in English
- Team player with rock-solid ability to work with diverse team members across multiple time zones.
- Excellent organization skills and self-direction.
- Values-driven, trustworthy, honest, and a passion for helping people in need.
- A good sense of humor, patience, and strong spirit.
How to Apply
- Please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected]
- Please include the text “[Finance & Grants Manager]” in the subject of the email
- Interviews and requests for references will follow