Hala Systems Inc.
Hala is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world’s toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
We are a team of 28 working together around the world to solve difficult problems. Founded by a rocket scientist, an ex-diplomat, and an expert in using technology for good, we hail from leading educational, research, and business institutions (including Stanford, MIT, Wharton, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LBS, MIT-Lincoln Laboratory, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, Deloitte, Booz, and the World Bank) and are united by a mission to create a sustainable business that provides massive social impact.
We are seeking an Associate Director, Grants, Admin, and Compliance to oversee the management of contracts, grants, and general business administration at Hala Systems and support the company as we expand and grow our staff and geographic coverage. The Associate Director will manage a small team of 2-3 officers, including the Procurement Officer and Finance & Grants Manager positions, and be ultimately responsible for Hala’s reporting and compliance on multiple grants and contracts, financial management, and overall business administration.
Hala is a distributed company with team members spanning the globe. The Associate Director of Grants, Admin, and Compliance role is a full-time position involving some limited travel, though remote work is an option as well. This is a contract-to-hire position. The start date is ASAP, in Western Europe.
The engagement will be discussed in greater detail with top candidates during interviews.
- Oversee grant management and procurement teams.
- Manage multiple contracts and grants and direct implementation pipeline.
- Oversee and manage the preparation of interim, final, and other required reports, including working together with the M&E/data analytics team as required.
- Develop and manage timeline, action plan, and schedule of deliverables for each grant.
- Revise, update, and suggest new tools and templates as needed for grants financial and narrative reporting and budget management (ex. Grants database, budget tracker, etc.); oversee Finance & Grant Manager’s tracking systems and inputting raw data into these tracking systems.
- Hold primary responsibility for reviewing and determining causes for variances to the budget and prepare required notices to be sent to donors regarding status of funds.
- Coordinate with finance, procurement, and program (field operations/product/software development/R&D) staff to facilitate monitoring, ongoing reporting, and closeout of grant activities.
- Oversee and ensure coherence across all staff and consultant employment contracts, timesheet utilization, ensuring compliance to relevant grant contracts.
- Review all procurement processes including the preparation of Requests for Proposals, Requests for Quotations, and signed contractual agreements.
- Review all final cost proposals developed by Hala’s Procurement team to ensure compliance and accuracy.
- Lead project-specific audit data collection and submission while ensuring quality and integrity of the information submitted to the auditor. Coordinate between and across Hala’s various teams to ensure the collection of necessary documentation to this end.
- Perform internal audits and reviews as required.
- Oversee reforecasting of grant-specific expenses and costs using level of effort (LOE) and recruitment updates, and subcontractor-related project needs and statements of work; works closely with field and technology teams to understand project needs.
- Liaise with other Hala team-leads to analyze grant project progress, ensure proper budget follow-up, analysis, projections and budget realignment where needed.
- Contribute to competitively strong proposals and concept notes.
- Maintain effective communication with key stakeholders, partners, and other organizations.
- Review, maintain, and update/develop new company policies and procedures regarding grant admin & compliance; provide training for all issues related to financial matters.
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in international development, business, management, or other sector-specific technical area.
- 5-7 years of government grant/contract management experience, including supervisory experience is required
- Experience in ensuring compliance regarding government contracts and/or donor-funded international development projects, business operations, and/or conducting or managing audits in a similar position is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage grants involving field teams in multiple geographic locations.
- Experience managing and conducting oversight on financial management and deep knowledge of finance and accounting processes is required.
- Experience communicating with donors on grant progress through periodic written reports, in-person presentations, and ongoing virtual communication.
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize between multiple ongoing
General Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- An eye for detail and accuracy.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Fluency in English.
- Team player with rock-solid ability to work with diverse team members across multiple time zones.
- Ability to strategize effectively to meet deadlines and competing obligations.
- Excellent organization skills and self-direction.
- Values-driven, trustworthy, honest, and a passion for helping people in need.
- A good sense of humor, patience, and strong spirit.
How to Apply
- Please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected]
- Please include the text “Associate Director, Grants, Admin, and Compliance]” in the subject of the email
- Interviews and requests for references will follow