The Philanthropy team raises crucial unrestricted funds for the Population Council, by inspiring individuals to support our mission to improve the well-being and reproductive health of current and future generations around the world and achieve a humane, equitable, and sustainable balance between people and resources.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Philanthropy, the Foundation Coordinator leads growth of the Population Council’s revenue from small and family foundations in the US and internationally. Focusing on general operating and program grants under $1 million, the Foundation Coordinator takes a systematic and data-driven approach to prospect research and evaluation, and works closely with the Associate Director of Philanthropy to develop cultivation strategies. The Foundation Coordinator takes a customer service approach to their relationships with Population Council researchers, developing a strong understanding of their funding needs and working collaboratively to develop effective grant requests. As a member of the Philanthropy team, the Foundation Coordinator contributes to cross-team learning and strategic planning.
1. Take lead responsibility for sustaining and growing the Population Council’s portfolio of grants from family foundations and other foundations giving under $1 million, with the support of the Associate Director of Philanthropy
2. Research and evaluate foundation prospects in the US and internationally, and work with the Associate Director of Philanthropy to identify appropriate cultivation strategies
3. Develop and implement project management processes to track and prioritize proposal opportunities
4. Work collaboratively with Population Council researchers to understand their funding needs and develop appropriate, effective proposals
5. Draft grant proposals for general operating and program support, in collaboration with researchers
6. Manage grants requirements, including coordinating with researchers to submit timely narrative and financial reports, and strategically communicating with foundations that have less formal reporting requirements.
1. Develop regular reports for the Associate Director of Philanthropy, senior leadership, and the Board of Trustees, including revenue generated and prospect analysis
Team strategy and continuous development
1. Continuously self-evaluate the effectiveness of the team’s fundraising strategies, contributing ideas to improve the team’s performance.
2. Develop and maintain knowledge of fundraising regulations and best practices.
1. A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum 3 years of work experience in a non-profit setting
2. Track record of raising funds from foundations giving to research or international development
3. Strong communicator, with experience of writing compelling grant applications
4. Strong project management skills, including experience of creating and managing effective processes to meet objectives
5. Positive and generous relationship-builder, with a proven ability to work effectively with internal stakeholders to meet fundraising goals
6. Experience with Customer Relationship Management systems, such as Salesforce or Raiser’s Edge.
7. Ability to think and plan strategically, including willingness to evaluate and improve own performance.
8. Knowledge of and experience in the international environment of the Council’s work, especially in low-income countries, and familiarity with international population, health, and development issues.
9. Willingness to work flexible hours, as required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org