The Permanent Mission of Norway to the United Nations in New York is looking for a communication expert with excellent speech writing skills to start as soon as possible. The position will run through spring 2020, with the possibility of extension through 2022 (contingent on Norway’s election to the UN Security Council for the 2021-2022 term).
About the Mission
New York is one of the world's most important arenas for international policy and multilateralism. Norway’s Mission to the United Nations is located in brand new offices, shared with the Norwegian Consulate General, within walking distance of UN headquarters in Manhattan. It works on a wide range of topics, including development; peace and security; human rights, women's rights and gender equality; humanitarian issues; international law; elections; education; health and climate related questions. Norway is campaigning for a seat on the UN Security Council for the term 2021-22; elections will be held in June 2020.
Main duties include:
- Speechwriting rooted in Norwegian policy, primarily for ambassadors at the Norwegian Mission
- Internal and external communication with a focus on the Security Council campaign. This may include in-house training in, or assistance with, speech writing for Mission staff
The employer reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this position as needed.
- Experience with messaging, preferably for a senior official or at a political level
- International experience and familiarity with multilateral work
- Knowledge of the United Nations and its vernacular is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Norway’s foreign affairs policy
- Native level English skills, both verbal and written
- College degree or higher, with relevant work experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Good service and collaborative skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy and punctuality
- Ability to cope under high pressure
- Ability to solve problems and challenges
- Cooperative and able to promote a healthy and inclusive work environment
- Good social and networking skills
- Must enjoy a hectic, varied and social work day
- Proven ability to take responsibility and implement plans both as part of a team and when initiating independent projects
- Must hold a valid residence and work permit upon employment. State clearly in your application if you are a U.S. citizen or hold a Green Card or G1 visa
- We offer an exciting and creative working environment with a high level of activity
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Please send cover letter and CV as a single file by March 10, 2019 to [email protected]
For inquiries about the hiring process, please contact Consul Viggo Jørgensen, [email protected].
For inquiries about the position, please contact Counsellor Terje Aalia, [email protected] or Counsellor Ragnhild Simenstad, [email protected].