Program Administrative Specialist. London. Posting Date: 03/05/2019. Deadline: 03/19/2019
The Open Society Foundations Program on Independent Journalism supports creative, talented, and open-minded groups and networks of journalists or media organizations producing verifiable, trustworthy information on any platform, especially in places where such content is not only scarce but also difficult to produce.Job Profile
We are interested in the development of new ideas taking advantage of the digital revolution in the production of news and in nurturing innovative journalism start-ups and opportunities for online news organizations to grow. We support investigative journalism in its quest for more transparency in our societies, accountable powers and better democracies. We also work to secure a free and safe environment, for those who produce journalism. We aim to improve global and regional connections, facilitate knowledge circulation, exchange ideas and learn from various contexts. Our team culture is participatory and creative.
The Program on Independent Journalism (PIJ) seeks to hire a Program Administrative Specialist to support the PIJ team, reporting directly to the Program Administrative Officer. The role involves carrying out operational and administrative work in support of grant-making and other program tasks.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Supporting the PIJ's grant-making by ensuring efficient flow of grants, in compliance with OSFs grant-making processes and internal requirements. This includes mastering relevant OSF systems and policies.
- Processing and overseeing the progress of consultant and vendor contracts and payments, which includes working with relevant staff both in the Program on Independent Journalism and other OSFs departments.
- Supporting the Program Administrative Officer in tracking Program Budget expenditure related to grants, contracts etc. as required.
- Processing vendor payments for a range of services not necessitating contracting, such as translation, shipping, publication printing, etc.
- Coordinating logistics for meetings and seminars, including booking travel, coordinating event details, documentation and note-taking and post-event support.
- Working closely with programmatic staff on a variety of administrative tasks and projects, supporting them as required.
- 3-5 years of administrative/operational experience at a large and complex organization.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and proactive problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience and desire to make operations run smoothly and efficiently.
- High proficiency in Excel, as well as Microsoft Office and other office technologies and IT solutions; must be comfortable learning new proprietary software systems.
- Proficiency in data management and visualization platforms and databases (e.g. Salesforce, NetSuite, Foundation Connect, etc.).
- Experience with multi-tasking and working independently on complex administrative tasks. Ability to prioritize; work well under time constraints while retaining attention to detail.
- Very good command of English.
- Legally eligible to work in the UK.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and are committed to providing reasonable adjustments so that colleagues with disabilities are able to fulfill the essential functions of the job.