Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership of Sustainable Development Goals Integrator Team:
- Direct and manage the SDG Integrator Team, on behalf of the Global Policy Network (GPN), to curate and deliver SDG integration services, which are complex and/or composite in nature;
- Lead the provision of UNDP integration services, ranging from SDG R&D, analytics, metrics, SDG financing, and knowledge and innovation;
- Anchor UNDP’s evolving initiatives focused on reorienting the approach to collaborative sustainable development, including contributions and support to County Acceleration Labs, design and implementation of MAPS engagements at country level, and coordinated roll out of UNDP-led initiatives on SDG integration in select countries;
- Advise UN and UNDP offices in navigating and utilizing various integration services and resources within a coherent and tailored strategy for individual offices and differentiated contexts; and
- Substantively engage GPN team leaders on the integration of UNDP’s economic, social and environmental work into a coherent sustainable development advisory service offer and programming framework, in support of the implementation of the sustainable development goals in all development situations.
Leadership and Coordination of Integration Services:
- Provide authoritative leadership, supervision and guidance to policy advisors across the GPN in their provision of sustainable development policy advisory and programme support services to requesting offices and entities;
- Ensure the timely identification and provision of world-renowned expertise to ensure global recognition of the organization as an authority, source of innovation and effective knowledge hub of the global community on issues of broadly perceived importance in public discourse related to sustainable development;
- Operationalize the platform from which internal and external knowledge and technical capacities are assembled and deployed to UN/UNDP offices requesting SDG Integration services; and
- Quality assure UNDP SDG Integration services delivered by multi-disciplinary teams and distill lessons for adaptation/evolution, scaling, and/or promoting corrective action across the GPN.
Overall Management and Resource Mobilization:
- Lead and manage the SDG Integrator Team, including supervising staff and overseeing strategy development, service line formulation, work planning, budgeting and reporting;
- Define and calibrate the operational mechanisms through which integration services are delivered and quality assured, in line with consistent principles of engagement;
- Facilitate the environment and approve strategies to leverage and mobilize financial resources and ensure effective utilization by policy advisors actively engaged in the SDG Integrator; and
- Lead the alignment of the SDG Integrator’s services to UNDP’s Business Plan, and marshal resource management solutions necessary for the financial sustainability of offering integration services alongside all policy advisory and programme support functions of the GPN.
Partnerships, Representation and Advocacy:
- Lead the substantive and operational investments in the SDG Integrator in order to position UNDP as the global leader in sustainable development;
- Mobilize, foster and strengthen strategic partnerships with UN and other relevant bodies and provide substantive inputs to those partnerships;
- Represent the SDG Integrator function in UNDP’s corporate discussions, in interagency coordination and in other fora to engage partners in advancing UNDP’s contributions to the Sustainable Development agenda through its Global Policy Network (GPN); and
- Advocate the importance and value of UNDP’s full spectrum of knowledge and advisory capabilities within the GPN in various international fora.
- Align and advance policy initiatives across UNDP’s global service offer, in collaboration with policy teams in the Regional Hubs, bringing in perspectives and knowledge from Country Offices and the regions;
- Lead UNDP’s Community of Practice on SDG integration;
- Coordinate, commission, and enrich new research on SDGs and mainstreaming of issues related to the environment and natural capital, disaster risk management and climate change, poverty, inequality, social protection, energy access, food security, development finance, trade, migration and gender, including collaboration with the Global Policy Centers;
- Oversee, influence and promote the advance of policy dialogue areas amplified through the SDG Integrator, through cross-regional exchange of knowledge and collaboration, and synthesis of knowledge emerging from the development and implementation of programmes across all knowledge domains of the Global Policy Network; and
- Oversee the knowledge extraction, analysis, documentation, codification of results/lessons learned in specific knowledge domains, ensuring that knowledge sharing, and content management is in line with guidelines and performed using corporate tools.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work;
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow;
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction;
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform;
- Delivery: Ability to get things done.
- Sustainable Development: Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions;
- Natural Capital and Environment: Knowledge of environment management processes at the national and local level and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations;
- Economic Planning: knowledge of economic planning concepts and the ability to apply to strategic or practical situations;
- Representation: Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues);
- Partnerships: Ability to engage with other agencies and forge productive working relationships;
- Resource Mobilization: Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources;
- Advocacy: Ability to advocate a point of view and influence others;
- Knowledge Management: Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge;
- Trends and emerging areas analytics: Ability to scan the horizon and identify approaches and initiatives to bring into policy and programme design.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in economics, business administration, social sciences or related disciplines.
- 15 years of professional work experience leading teams, providing policy advice and pioneering approaches in the three dimensions of sustainable development in different country contexts including LDCs and SIDS, MICS and crisis and post crisis settings, at the international level. Experience in developing country settings will be desirable.
- Fluency in English, both written and oral. Working knowledge of another UN language will be desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org