By joining Social Platform’s Secretariat you will be at the heart of a growing movement to revive democracy and social progress across Europe!
Created in 1995, Social Platform is the umbrella organisation of around fifty networks that actively work at European, national and local level. By joining forces we have the potential to make a real difference to issues of social justice, human rights and participatory democracy. We are recognised by EU institutions and by EU Member States as being a leading voice of civil society organisations active in the social field.
Working for Social Platform is therefore a unique opportunity to help shape the future of Europe by strengthening civil society participation.
WHAT IS THE POSITION ABOUT?
Social Platform is looking for a socially-driven, creative and engaging Policy and Advocacy Coordinator to join its Secretariat in Brussels. This is an exciting development opportunity for an experienced professional who wants to play an active role in the fight for social justice in Europe. The role includes harnessing the collective expertise and influence of Social Platform members, fostering cooperation within the Secretariat and developing and managing relationships with external stakeholders.
The post holder will oversee their own policy and advocacy portfolio, as well as coordinate and supervise the work of Policy Officers within the team. The Coordinator will report to, and, when required, deputise for the Director of Social Platform. The Coordinator will also be expected to work closely with the Communications and Campaigns team, to support the delivery of consistent, clear and change-making messages to external stakeholders.
Reporting to: Director
- Oversee a dedicated policy and advocacy portfolio;
- Coordinate, line-manage and support Social Platform’s Policy team;
- Recruit and supervise policy and advocacy consultants hired to contribute to the successful delivery of Social Platform’s work programme;
- Working with the Secretariat team, lead on developing a strong policy and advocacy community within Social Platform membership;
- Work closely with the Communication and Campaigns team, to ensure timely distribution and promotion of hard-hitting policy messages;
- Lead on key partnerships that support Social Platform’s advocacy aims and develop strong relationships with relevant stakeholders across the EU institutions;
- Represent Social Platform externally as appropriate and contribute to co-ordinating attendance of Social Platform representatives at external-facing events;
- Work with the Director in supporting and contributing to the governance structures of Social Platform and to the network’s strategic plans and annual work programmes;
- Deputise for the Director of Social Platform as required.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Knowledge and experience:
- Proven experience in advocacy and policy at European and Member State level;
- Educational background in economics, social policy, political science or a related field; or, proven equivalent practical experience;
- Proven knowledge of EU's macroeconomic governance as well as of a range of EU policies in the social field;
- Expertise on EU policy-making processes and on monitoring, analysing and responding to identified opportunities for strategic engagement with EU institutions;
- Demonstrable experience of speaking at and contributing to public events;
- Experience of working with or within a membership-based organisation;
- Experience in managing staff and projects;
- High degree of attention to detail, commitment to quality and ability to prioritise tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Politically astute, with track record of successful advocacy outcomes;
- Excellent planning and co-ordination skills; flexible attitude ready to adjust priorities as required;
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and compelling manner to a wide range of audiences and proven record of effective messaging;
- Demonstrated networking skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Adheres to Social Platform's values and approach grounded in the human rights framework.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
- Be part of a Platform that is actively working to achieve positive social change;
- Full-time permanent position, conditions are according to Belgian legislation, including the legal ability to live and work in Belgium;
- Salary according to the wage scales of Social Platform and based on experience;
- Preferred starting date: asap;
- Holiday allowance and 13th month pay;
- Pension scheme, hospitalisation insurance, representation allowance, transport allowance and lunch vouchers;
- Social Platform is an equal opportunities employer. Applications are welcomed from candidates regardless of background, gender, marital status, disability or sexuality. Social Platform strives to pursue family-friendly employment practices.
Please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected].
Cover letters should be no more than 1 page and CVs no more than 2 pages in length. Please do not send any additional documentation such as references, certificates etc.
For any questions you might have, please contact Nathalie Franck ([email protected]).
Due to the high amount of applications anticipated, we will not be able to reply to each applicant. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Your data is treated with confidentiality and the application will be deleted once a candidate has been recruited.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org