Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking a Logistics Officer.
Reporting to the Logistics Manager the Logistics Officer is responsible for supporting the global supply chain and logistics operations of the Canadian Red Cross (CRC) Emergency Preparedness Programming. The Logistics Officer will support the procurement, planning, inventory management and control, transportation, warehousing, and customer service to improve productivity, quality, and efficiency of the Emergency Preparedness/Readiness Programming with a focus on procurement and quality assurance.
The Logistics Officer will contribute to the success of the matrix model, agility of the organization, delivering against the One Red Cross vision and interoperability, and implement innovations/learning within programs.
Support to the logistics activities of the current and future emergency preparedness and emergency operations. (30%)
- Support the readiness and provision of CRC stated intent of 24/7/365 availability of the CRC Health Emergency Response Unit (ERU) and Non-Food Items (NFI) for domestic and international deployment.
- Coordinate with the Logistics Manager to develop and maintain preparedness activities, contacts and contracts to speed deployment of emergency response equipment as required.
- Coordinate with the Logistics Manager to ensure programming and procurement is compliant with legislation, donor regulation and best practices.
- Collaborate with Logistics Manager and Warehouse Supervisor to ensure that medical products and pharmaceuticals are warehoused and dispatched appropriately from CRC and vendor consigned warehouses including, but not limited to, management of expiry dates and disposal procedures.
- Coordinate with the Logistics Coordinator during times of Emergency Deployment to support the procurement and activation of existing readiness contracts for deployment of the ERU and NFIs.
Procurement of goods and services of CRC emergency preparedness, emergency operations and early recovery programs. (45%)
- Plan, manage and execute complex procurement of goods and services for the emergency preparedness programs including sourcing, negotiation, contracting, supplier quality, cost savings, supplier performance monitoring; Engage the CRC Procurement hub team as required.
- Execute just-in-time procurement for emergency response in collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator;
- Liaise with Risk and Legal department, Prepares and administers contracts of moderate complexity;
- Monitors contractors’ deliverables and performance, processes changes/modifications, and performs contract close out;
- Develops specifications and statements of work with vendors and stakeholders;
- Replenish Health ERU equipment within an acceptable timeframe agreed upon with the Readiness team in collaboration with the Logistics Manager.
- Replenish CRC and Government of Canada NFIs within an acceptable timeframe agreed upon with the Readiness team in collaboration with the Logistics Manager.
- Contribute to, and continuously improve efficient and cost-effective procurement processes.
- Resolve critical issues or difficulties within the scope of procurement in collaboration with the Logistics Manager.
- Collaborate with the Logistics Manager to provide technical and operational support to logistics staff, senior management, program managers, operations project field staff and volunteers within the scope of procurement, supply chain, and inventory activities.
Reinforcement of other components of the CRC Logistics Unit as required, which may include support to emergencies in Canada and/or support to bilateral operations and recovery programs (5%)
- Support domestic and international cargo shipments for routine and emergency shipments.
- Support complex supply chain including inland and international transportation, custom clearances, in-country deliveries.
- Support domestic emergency response operations as required.
- Participate in Logistics Capacity programming with bilateral partners as requested.
Quality control and compliance/due diligence activities (15%)
- Support Warehouse Supervisor with inspection of goods as they arrive in the warehouse to ensure goods meet agreed specifications and contract terms as requested;
- Coordinate with suppliers to resolve quality control issues with products;
- Periodically participate in kitting activities at warehouse level to ensure quality control;
- Execute returns with suppliers ensuring appropriate tracking and ensuring a quick resolution to return/replacement of product;
- Periodically participate in inventory spot-check activities; work with Warehouse Supervisor to resolve any issues found during spot check;
- Participate in Annual Inventory counts.
Supports an effective team in a matrix structure (5%)
- Develop and maintain membership in the functional department, and designated project teams.
- Collaborate to fulfill the agreed objectives, needs and expectations.
- Foster team work through a professional exchange of experiences and expertise that can be transferred to other areas of work.
- Ensure sharing and dissemination of services related materials to all concerned actors.
- Provide back-up to colleagues as required.
- Mentor colleagues on sourcing processes and systems for back up purposes.
- Follow all CRC’s policies and procedures required to maintain a healthy and safe working environment.
- Integrate volunteer resources within the scope of responsibilities, as required.
- Participate in disaster planning, preparation and response, as required.
- Contribute to a healthy and safe working environment.
- Perform other duties, as required.
Education and Experience
- University Degree with focus on Logistics, Supply Chain Management, or Procurement or a combination of education and experience that would be considered equivalent;
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in supply chain and logistics;
- Demonstrable experience in large-scale high-volume procurement is required;
- Experience in Medical/Health Care procurement and supply chain would be considered an asset;
- Demonstrable experience and advanced level of skill on MS Office suite and an ERP system (SAP, Dynamics AX) is required;
- Experience working with the Red Cross Red Crescent movement, particularly with the IFRC Global Tools, is an asset;
- Demonstrable knowledge of donor requirements as they relate to procurement and logistics
Skills and Attributes
- Highly developed analysis and planning skills, using innovation and creative thinking
- Team-oriented with proven leadership abilities.
- Strong and effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural and cross-functional environment.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and handle multiple tasks.
- Good judgement and decision making.
- Fluency in English is required, proficiency in French is preferred, other language abilities an asset
- Resilience and adaptability to changing circumstances and an evolving environment
- Commitment to gender equality and social inclusion
- Commitment to the Principles of the Red Cross Movement
- The majority of the work is performed in a clean and comfortable environment
- May include long to moderate hours sitting and using computers and office equipment.
- May be required to some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time up to 20kg (or another weight)
- Ability to work non-traditional hours on short notice
- Ability to work in stressful and often ambiguous conditions.
- This position may require domestic or overseas travel to attend conferences, workshops and meetings as required.
- If required, and eligible, periodic travel to country operations may be required. Field missions can involve working in environments that are unstable and with unpredictable access to basic services in emergency contexts and requiring very strict adherence to security regulations
- Must be able to be Medical Cleared for travel in accordance with established CRC Medical criteria in positions where travel will be required
- Successfully complete a Canadian criminal record reference check and vulnerable sector check
Want to foresee how you will make a difference? Visit our following websites below to get a glimpse of what we do, aspire to be one of our many current delegates, locate where we deploy, and much more!
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org